Chapter 32

Riley and Lin insisted that Zoe absolutely needed to have something called a heel, which looked like sandals with a strange spike underneath its base, near the wearer's heel. It just didn't seem practical at all. Nonetheless, she took off her boots and let the girls strap the sandals on her feet.

They were coated with silvery glitter and almost sparkled. "They're perfect," Riley said. "You know, it's the shoes make the outfit" Zoe didn't know that.

Lin inspected them. "Yeah, they'll match the embroidery on her dress."

"Go ahead and walk around a little. Try them out."

Zoe wobbled some, uncertain as to how women did anything useful in shoes like this. How was she going to run or kick someone with these on?

"So, let me guess," Lin said. "Shoes aren't your thing."

"Definitely not." Zoe answered with such seriousness that both Riley and Lin erupted into a fit of giggles. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing. We just love you." They both embraced her and laughed more. Teenage girls are strange.

Zoe shrugged. "I guess."

The shoes were the last of what Riley called accessories. "Every girl needs accessories. That's how we look beautiful," she had said. Muriel never mentioned anything about accessories. Regardless, Zoe felt grateful that she brought plenty of cash.

Riley led them through the mass of people filling the mall towards the food court. They sat at one of the tables. Zoe carried both her and Riley's shopping bags, which she set down. "I think we are set for the dance now. Let me think. We got nail polish, makeup, perfume—"

Zoe couldn't understand the purpose of perfume and when Riley told her it was used to get boys to like her she got even more confused. Lin argued that the real reason wasn't to attract boys, because that was sexist. It was so a woman can smell her best. Humans don't even have a developed sense of smell.

"Earrings." They both were shocked that Zoe didn't have pierced ears. Lin suggested Zoe get clip-on, silver earrings. Strange human customs.

"And shoes." Riley brought her finger to her lips. "Yup, I say that does it...for now."

Lin inspected her shopping bags, as if conducting an inventory. "Yes. All check."

Riley grinned. "Now, it's time for school shopping."

School shopping? Zoe's eyes widened.

Lin smiled at Zoe's reaction. "The real truth is that Riley just loves shopping. It doesn't matter the excuse."

"Well, of course!" Riley pulled out a sheet of paper from her back pocket and unfolded it out in the center of the table for the others to see. "In honor of homecoming, this week is spirit week. We have definitely got to be prepared!"

Lin rolled her eyes. "Riley is also really big into the whole spirit thing."

Zoe nodded. "I can see that."

The flyer listed the themes for each day of the week:

Monday—Sport Day (wear jerseys supporting your favorite sports team)

Tuesday—Twins Day (dress like a friend)

Wednesday—Hippie Day (wear bell buttons and tie-dye shirts)

Thursday—Heroes and Villains Day (dress-up as your favorite hero or villain)

Friday—Spirit and Friendship Day (wear school colors and make sure to order your friendship carnations for delivery)