Chapter 2: Apologies

Kise woke up to the sound of chirping birds and the sound of a flowing river. He opened his eyelids to reveal his honey brown orbs. The sun's rays were creeping through the small opening between the sliding doors. He must have left it slightly opened last night.

He sat up on his futon and looked around. There were still some unopened boxes in the corner of his new room.

He opened the sliding doors. A soft breeze greeted him followed by the scent of sakura trees and fresh water from the river. It was a beautiful spring morning.

He smiled at how tranquil the place was. He made a good choice by going here.

_______

Honey brown meets magenta.

Kise stared into Megumi's eyes when he unexpectedly met her in the bathroom.

Yes, in the bathroom. To add more to the embarrassment, she was only in her towel.

"Me-Megumi.." Kise's face flushed red. But, it was no match for Megumi's dark shade of red. If this was some kind of anime, she would already have steam evaporating from her head and ears.

"Get out!!" It was Kise's first time hearing her voice that loud. It was just slightly louder than her usual volume.

Kise raised his hands in surrender, ready to leave. But that sudden movement seemed to only make Megumi panic more.

She screamed.

_______

Kise sat at the dining table with a bump on his head and a bruise of his right cheek. Thankfully, none of his ribs were broken from that kick Megumi gave.

"And, done! You're good to go, Kise-kun," Minako said after putting a bandage on Kise's bruise. "I'll go fetch an ice bag for that bump on your head."

Megumi sat silently next to him. She stole glances at him. Kise had a tear hanging from his eye. Megumi might be tiny but, that girl sure knows how to kick ass or in Kise's case, his stomach.

"Don't you owe Kise-kun an apology, Mi-chan?" Noriko said from across the table.

"Eh?" Megumi flinched at the sudden statement. She bowed her head closer to her bowl of rice.

"You forgot to tell him which bathroom that he's allowed to use, right? So, you have a share in the guilty party as well," Noriko added before continuing to eat her breakfast.

"It's okay, Megumi. I forgot to ask. I must have scared you earlier, sorry about that," Kise assured with a smile. He leaned in to show Megumi his smile, as evidence that he's alright.

Megumi flinched, dropping her chopsticks. Blush rose across her cheeks as she inched away from him.

"Eh, Megumi?"

"I-I'm.. Um, I'm sorry-"

"Hmm, what was that?" Kise leaned his ear closer to her. Just like the day before, he had trouble hearing what she was saying.

"Excuse me.." Megumi placed her half eaten rice on the table before leaving. She closed the sliding door behind her. They heard fast footsteps running away as soon as it was closed.

Kise sat there, dumbfounded. He was a bit hurt by that. He was just trying to cheer her up. He looked over to Noriko who remained neutral.

"What's with her??" he asked, confused.

"Don't worry, she probably just feels awkward. And you leaning closer to her definitely made her feel embarrassed," Noriko commented.

"Eh- Oh, I didn't realize I was leaning so close. She speaks so softly."