Chapter 16 ~ Aomine's Past [Part 2] ~

Second Arc: Aomine's Past [Part 2].

"Haruhi?"

"Haru-chan!"

"O-Oi, what's wrong? Haruhi.."

"I-I'll call her parents.."

Aomine held Haruhi close to him, not caring that his shirt was soaked by the blood she coughed out.

"Haruhi.." Aomine kissed the top of her head, hoping that everything would be okay.

_______

"She doesn't have much time left. A year, the most.."

That news broke everyone's heart. Her parents were the first to cry. Momoi cried into her hands, wishing that it was all a dream.

"Haruhi.." Aomine clenched his fist. But, his tears fell and splashed on the floor anyway. He never such pain before.

"C-Can we see her?" her mother asked.

"She still needs some rest at the moment. We will inform you once she's stable.." The doctor looked down in guilt. There was nothing he could do. "I'm deeply sorry.."

He bowed and excused himself to continue the check ups.

_______

The sun was already setting in the horizon but, Aomine refused to leave Haruhi's side. Her parents had gone home to pack some clothes and other essentials. The doctor said that she has to stay in the hospital for the time being. There was no telling when she would be allowed to stay at home again. Her parents didn't have to ask Aomine to stay and look after her while they were out. He would willingly stay there with her.

Aomine held her hand in his, rubbing circles at the back of your hand with his thumb.

"Haruhi.."

The promise they made a few years ago came into mind. They were only ten years old at the time but, he really meant it. He really likes Haruhi. By now, in their first year of Middle School.. He realised that he may not just like her. She meant everything to him.

"D-Daiki-kun.."

Aomine snapped out of his daze when he heard her soft voice.

"I'm here.."

Haruhi gave a weak smile. But, it soon wilted when she saw the frown on his face. Tear quickly welled up at the corner of her eyes.

"I can't be with you guys for long, huh.."

Aomine squeezed her hand.

"Since when were you like this? I mean, you could have told us.."

"I always had fragile health since little. But, it got worse last year.."

"Why didn't you tell us? Me, at least.."

"I didn't want to make you and Satsuki-chan sad. I wanted us to have all the beautiful memories together.." Haruhi looked out the window longingly. All the memories since her childhood flooded into her mind. The tears continued to flow down her cheeks. "I didn't want our happy times to end just because I'm sick.."

"Haruhi.."

"Please smile, Daiki-kun.."

"I can't.."

"Please.." Haruhi took her hand away from Aomine's grasp and pulled his cheek. She smiled even when tears were flowing non-stop.

"We promised.."

"I'm really sorry, Daiki-kun. I don't think I can keep that promise.."

"This can't be happening.."