Chapter 4: Pinky Promise

Kise couldn't stop thinking about what happened the whole day. After lunch, he constantly looked at Megumi's empty seat. She never returned to class after what happened. He wondered where she went.

His mind kept replaying everything he heard.

'Monster.. Seductress.. What the hell are these people talking about? She's just a poor girl.'

A note was suddenly placed onto his desk, bringing him out of his thoughts. The student sitting next to him must have passed it.

A quick look around made it clear that it was one of the girls from earlier.

That smile, that look. It's all fake.

He hates fake people.

He didn't bother reading the note. He passed it back to the person sitting next to him and went back to taking notes.

Hushed snickers erupted as the other students witnessed what he did.

He didn't have time for this. He wanted to find Megumi.

- - - - - -

He didn't see her the rest of the day. After school, asked Minako and Kasamatsu but they haven't seen her either.

Worry bubbled in his chest. Just the other day, he had a nice conversation with her and now she's avoiding him like the plague.

"Welcome home." He was surprised to see her in the kitchen once he got back from school. She wore a simple t-shirt and a long skirt under her apron.

'Welcome home? She says that after pushing me away at school. Now she's acting like nothing happened?!'

When he didn't respond, Megumi looked back at the vegetable she was cutting. So she's still avoiding him.

"Megumi, I-"

"Oh, Kise-kun! Welcome home," Noriko entered the kitchen. Kise closed his mouth at the interruption. They must be preparing dinner. He didn't want to bother them.

"I'm home," he responded to Noriko. Noriko could see him looking at Megumi as if wanting to say something.

'Ah, I got here at the wrong time. Maybe I should leave for a bit.'

"Megumi," Kise started. Noriko froze in her tracks.

Megumi turned to him but avoiding eye contact.

"Can I please talk to you after dinner? I don't know what's going on but, I really want to talk to you."

"Umm, I--"

"Mi-chan," Noriko gently placed her hands on the girl's shoulders. "I don't know what happened between you two, but it doesn't hurt to talk things out, you know. Kise-kun seems very concerned."

Kise could see Megumi slowly giving in. "O-Okay."

Noriko smiled.

After that, she shooed Kise out of the kitchen saying he's sweaty and stinky from club activities. As soon as he was out of earshot, she turned to Megumi and gave her a pat on the head.

"Have a good talk with him, okay?"

"Mhm.."

"What do you think of Kise-kun?"

"He seems nice."

"I see~"

"For now," Megumi said under her breath that Noriko barely caught it.

Noriko knew it was hard for Megumi to open up to people. Not after everything she's been through. She has suggested many times that Megumi should be transferred to Tokyo, away from the village. But for whatever reason, Megumi refused.