Chapter 44 ~ Left ~

Noriko was calculating the income from the inn late that night. It was quiet without Kise in the house. He would usually be there in the living room with everyone else telling stupid jokes and stories. Minako, who's cheerfulness is more or less at the same level as Kise, would be quite noisy too most of the time. But, since Hokuto is away, she had to stay at home.

Then, it striked.

It started with a single howl. Then, another. Followed by another until howls resonated from every corner of the mountain. It wasn't a normal howling where they call upon each other when they track down a prey. They were grieving..

The howling didn't stop and it set the hair at the back of Noriko's neck standing on ends.

She put down her pen in shock and strode towards the sliding doors, facing the mountains. A chilling breeze greeted her which added more fear into her veins.

"What's going on?"

"Noriko.."

"Mother.." Noriko turned to find her mother standing at the door near the hallway. A grim expression was carved into her face. "What's happening?"

"They can feel that someone's life is slipping away."

"Eh?"

Just then, the phone at the end of the hallway rang. Noriko paled. Her knees were weakening but, she went ahead to pick up the phone anyway.

"Hello?"

"Is this the Mirai residence?"

"Yes, Mirai Noriko speaking. Who is this?"

"We're calling from the Kiseki Town Hospital. M-Mirai Hikari.. Her condition.."

Noriko's eyes widened in shock. Her hands were already trembling. It can't be. No!

_______

With the help of Kazuma, they arrived at the hospital just in time. But, the situation have already quietened down.

"No.." Those were the only words that came from Noriko when a doctor walked out solemnly from Hikari's hospital room.

Hina looked down. They knew the news would be unbearable.

The doctor sighed heavily, which is never a good sign. "I'm sorry.."

Those mere words crushed their hearts. It can't be. Hikari held on for ten years and suddenly.. No.. That pain.

_______

Back at Souma's mansion, Megumi stared at Hokuto as she re-entered the large room. Her eyes were dull and her weak steps towards Megumi's bed only made the anxiety in the tiny girl's heart increase by a hundred folds.

Momoi, who was clueless of the situation, could only watch them.

"Hokuto-ne.."

"We need to leave tomorrow. Pack your belongings. We'll leave early," Hokuto said. She knew what Megumi's future question would be. But, she didn't want to venture there just yet.

"Haruno-sensei, what's going on?" Momoi asked in Megumi's stead since Megumi was frozen. Her tears were all dried up by now. Her heart was aching too much.

"Just go back to sleep, Momoi.." Hokuto tried to smile. "I can't say anything right now."

Then, she went to her belongings and started packing.

"Megumi-chan.." Momoi looked at her. She felt so guilty for not being able to help her in any way. She had no idea what was going on. But, whatever it is.. It seemed sorrowful in the most indescribable ways possible.