It Should Have Been Me... ~Gaara x Reader~

It feels like it was just yesterday.

You smiled and giggled happily, comfortably wrapped by Gaara's lanky, muscular arms.

But those days were over.

~~~~

Gaara opened his eyes to find Naruto's blue ones. They were filled with relief, but also noticeable sorrow. Gaara slowly sat up, finding your limp body in Kakashi's arms.

His heart fell. Is she...?

Kakashi shook his head, signaling the worst.

Gaara stared at the ground with wide eyes, his breathing getting heavier and heavier. "W-what happened to her? Did I kill her...?", Gaara asked, on the brink of tears. Naruto sighed, "She gave up her life to save you. You know about her powers, they're valuable...especially to the Akatsuki...", Sakura explained.

Gaara let out a shaky breath. "She offered her life to make them let you go...", Sakura said, voice cracking. Gaara clenched his fists, knuckles turning white. Naruto placed a hand on Gaara's shoulder, "We should get going, the sun is going to set soon.", he said quietly. Gaara slowly stood up, knees buckling.

He remained quiet the whole trip, looking at your corpse in Kakashi's arms. "Naruto, time to switch.", Kakashi said. "Let me carry her.", Gaara said.

Everybody looked at Gaara with concern. Hesitantly, Kakashi passed off your body to Gaara's arms. Your skin was already firm and cold, face paler than fresh snow. He bit his lower lip, trying to suppress his sobs. Tears flowed off his cheeks onto your cold, pale hand.

He held you closer to his face, foreheads touching. "I'm so sorry...It should've been me...", he whimpered.

The familiar lights of Sunagakure came into sight. Everybody greeted Gaara happily, relieved that he came back safe, but then they noticed your still figure in his arms. The whole village was quiet that night, silence for the death of the Kazekage's beloved.

Gaara thanked and bid goodbye to Naruto and his team, and made his way to the hospital, where they kept your body until your funeral.

~~~

Hundreds of people attended your funeral. Most of them sobbed loudly, the remained stayed quiet.

Gaara was the last to leave the cemetery, leaving your favorite flowers near your tombstone.

Here lies (Y/L/N) (Y/N)

Loving daughter, sister, friend, and girlfriend

"It should have been me..." Gaara grumbled, readjusting the bouquet.

He sighed, looking at your name one last time before he turning his body and leaving the cemetery.

(A/N): Yo soy cansada. Yo quiero dormir. Buenos noches, todo el mundo ~jazmynecchi