Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

Peeta's POV

We are now on a emergency train ride to the Capitol for her treatment. I sit there holding her hand as they have her on life support... And if anyone was wondering about the situation, this is as gloomy as it gets.

Johanna, Chip, and Willow are in their quarters and I've been with Katniss all night, holding her hand. It looks like she's breathing, but it's the machine doing it. Her hearts beating but not by itself... The doctors say she's brain dead.

I kiss her hand and keep it pressed on my lips. Then she starts shaking and her bottom lip quivering. I gasp, knowing this her having a nightmare. I squeeze her hand and kiss her four head.

"Katniss it isn't real-" a nurse walks in and puts a needle in her arm and her shaking stops. "She was having a nightmare!" I say and she shakes her head. "Mr. Mellark... Mrs. Mellark is brain dead... She can't have nightmares when nothing is going on in there."

She walks out and I kiss Katniss's four head. "I'm going to check on Willow, I'll be right back." I walk into the room and see Johanna having her arms around Willow as Chip sleeps. Willow has been crying all day so I sit on the bed, and rub her back.

She turns and looks at me with her bottom lip quivering. "Is mommy okay?" I force a smile and kiss her four head. "Mommy's sleeping now and she'll be up soon." She smiles and nestles into Johanna's chest once again and falls asleep.

"You're lying Peeta, she's not doing good at all." Johanna says harshly. I look into her angry green eyes as her dark bangs fall over her eyes. I swallow. "The machines are keeping her alive." That's all I say, because its true.

"Do they know what happened?" She asks and I shake my head. "No... I guess the memories were to hard on her this year." I say with tears rolling down my cheeks. "I shouldn't of left for work today... She begged me not to go, I-I could've saved her and-" I feel a hand on my shoulder and I look over at Chip who's dark hair is messy and his green eyes shine with tears.

"It's not your fault, none of its your fault Peeta." I wipe my tears away and stand. "I'm going to stay in the room with Katniss... Goodnight." I stand from the velvet covered room back to Katniss's plain white and sterol room.

I remember her telling me how much she hated being in the hospital... Then I start seeing her with bruises on her neck and blood streaming from her mouth. "I did this to you Katniss." I whisper and start having a attack.

She's right in front of me and I could easily kill her now. I'm talking to myself in a different, scary voice until. "Peeta?" I turn and see Dr. Arulius, the man that saved our lives. I close my eyes and kiss Katniss's cold hand. "Do you want to know what happened?" I nod and he swallows.

"She had a aneurism, which caused a seizure." "How did it happen?" "It was from horrific effects of the hijacking medication in her back that we did years ago... It backfired and caused her to have nightmares which caused so much stress on artery wall that it weakened it and popped."

I swallow the bile in my throat and glare at him. "Your doctors did this to her..." "Now Peeta-" "YOU KILLED MY WIFE!!!!!!! THE ONLY THING I HAD LEFT!!!!!!!!! SHE WAS THE ONLY THING THAT MADE ME BETTER!!!!!!!" I grab his jacket and shove him into a wall, with his shaved head shining with sweat.

"Help!" He screams and I punch him as hard as I could, knocking him out... Possibly killing him. Two Capitol Guards grab me as I scream and kick. They put a needle in my neck and lower me down on the floor where his blood is forming into a pool. "I'm so sorry Katniss." And then I black out.