Chapter Fifty Five

Chapter Fifty Five

Katniss's POV

I keep my eyes closed as I hear Peeta's soft breathing as sea gulls sing from the open window as the sweet sun of District Four barrels in. I think about what I have to do today, I have to call the doctor about my contacts and see how long it'll take to make them, I have to get the kids out the door so they can go look around town, and I have to call in my pain medications for my scars because I've all but ran out.

I slowly open my eyes and see black, just pitch black nothing. I try not to panic, I've never woken up to a blind spell and I don't want Peeta worrying about me. I hear him roll over onto his side and I feel the bed bow closer towards me, so I am guessing he's looking at me, I flip and lay on my side and pray to god I'm looking into his beautiful blue eyes.

I feel his breath against my face and then his soft and warm lips. I kiss him back with a tired smile as my fingers run through his soft blond hair. When he breaks away I hear him yawn. "I gotta go make some breakfast before the kids get up." He mumbles and I smile with a nod. "Alright give me about thirty minutes and then I'll be down okay?" I mumble, closing my eyes again and pretend to be sleepy. He chuckles and kisses my four head.

"Alright see you soon." Then I hear the kids barreling down the stairs squealing with Johanna following them squealing about waffles. I hear him laugh. "I gotta go before they start their own rebellion in the kitchen." Then he leaves the room. I try to get up and feel for something to clutch so I can go into the bathroom and concentrate on not dying.

I fall into the wall and shakily lead myself across the room, groping for the bathroom door. After about ten minutes I find it and walk in slowly. I strip myself of my clothing and step into the shower, then find the controls to turn on the water and let the warm water hit my back and face as I beg my vision to come back.

Then after about thirty minutes a knock goes through the door. "Katniss? It's Peeta, are you okay?" "Yeah I'm just getting out." I stop the water and then when I think I'm out my foot catches on something and it fall with a yelp.

"Katniss!" Peeta yells, banging on the door. I just sob quietly on the floor wet and naked with t whole body aching. "Katniss I am opening the door!" I hear the door open and then hear Peeta gasp. "Oh my god Katniss!" His arms wrap around me and lift me up. "I'm fine I just lost my footing." "Katniss you're crying." I shake my head instantly stopping my tears.

"It just scared me I'm okay." He helps me up as I look into the pitch black darkness of blindness and press my lips against his gently. "I'll be done in a minute, let me get dressed and I'll be down." "No I'm helping you get dressed." I don't argue with Peeta because sometimes I just let him make the decisions. He helps me slip into a short sleeved shirt and slacks as I can feel and he helps me down the stairs.

"How's your head today?" My thoughts swim through the darkness. "Alright." I say as he helps me into the kitchen as I can tell from the scent of wafting raspberry pastries. I hear Kaden and Willow squealing and giggling as Peet sits me down in a chair. Then all of the sudden I hear a stampede of footsteps and then two forms tackling me, making the chair I was sitting in tumbling down. Usually I would laugh and Peeta is right now but I don't. "Calm down guys." I say but they don't listen they keep jumping up and down on my torso.

"Look mommy what I found in the ocean!" Kaden squeals and the horrible smell of rotting fish hits my nose. "Sweetheart that's very lovely but maybe you should put it outside-" "Mommy let's play patty cake!" Willow says laughing and then all of the sudden I feel her hand make contact with my face. She gasps as I rub the burning area. "Sorry mommy, thought your hand was up." Then the phone starts ringing and Peeta answers it. "Hello? Oh yeah, Katniss is right here." He puts the phone to my eR and I hear my doctor for my contacts as the kids keep squealing.

"Alright Katniss I'm here to discuss your contact production, it'll take about three months because they are now very advance-" His words are cut off by Willow and Kaden screaming in my ears. I snap angrily at them. "Weeping Willow and Kaden Xavier Mellark!" I yell and everything goes dead silent. "You both are being want to excited and loud and rough with me and I'm on the phone and I need both of you to go to your rooms this instant!" I hear them sniffle and feel their tears now rolling onto my arm. I've never screamed at them before.

They get up and burst into tears, running up the stairs and slamming their doors. I finish my phone call with a shaky voice and then hang up. I put my face into my hands and scream, I scream as loud as I can and then all of the sudden my eye sight comes back and I see Peeta looking at me with wide eyes.

I stand and kiss his lips gently, looking into his eyes. "I'm sorry I had a attack... I went blind all this morning Peeta,

I'm so sorry." He holds me and kisses my four head and then the kids come down and see me huddled into a corner.

I wrap my arms around them and tell them how sorry I am... And thankfully they forgive me full hearted. A few days later I go to a doctor in Four and I talk to them about my blindness and nightmares and they do a test, a scary test with a long needle in my neck, Peeta holding me as I cry into his shoulder. After they let the blue medication seep through my veins a nurse comes back in with tears filling in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Mellark but it seems like your nightmares are more than nightmares." I grip Peeta's hand tighter. "What do you mean?" "Katniss... President Snow somehow did get to you, you have a form of brain cancer that causes your nightmares and your broken blood vessel doesn't help either... I'm sorry to say this but you're dying." I burst into angry tears against Peeta's strong chest. He did get to me! He's going to make me die, leave the world, leave Peeta and the kids... This just can't happen.

"I'm going to set up appointments for your chemo therapy and you'll be gone for weeks at a time because the chemo can be very violent and can make you even more Ill-" "I won't do it." "What?" Peeta and the nurse say. "If I'm going to die soon, I want to spend as much time as I can with my kids and Peeta."

"The chemo will help you survive." "Then even if I feel like crap after I'm coming home to my kids, I promise you that I won't die, I survived many battles and I can survive this one." She smiles. "Okay." Peeta kisses my throbbing temple and she hands me purple pills that are the beginning of my chemo. When we get back to the house I sit the kids down and hold Peeta's hand. "Mommy what's wrong?" Kaden asks, hiding onto his teddy bear Tedward.

Willow has flour on her face from baking pastries for us, her dark hair in a braid like mine. I swallow and tears spring into my eyes. "Guys, mommy is really sick... I have cancer." Their eyes go wide and tears begin to roll down their cheeks. "I'm going to die before I see my grand kids, and I'm so sorry." I burst into uncontrollable sobs.

I feel three sets of arms wrapping around me and kissing my cheeks. Then I hear the most beautiful words I've heard. "We'll be right with mommy." And Peeta whispers in my ear. "I'll be right with you Katniss... I promise." "So will I." I look up to see Johanna with Chip and her daughter toddling around, Caspian with Annie smiling with Fin, and Gale, his grey eyes shining with tears. "We're with you too Katniss." And at that moment I know that I wasn't alone.

COMMENT AND VOTE!!!!! TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS CHAPTER!!!!!! WHOEVER COMMENTS FIRST GETS A DEDICATION!!!!!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!