Chapter Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty Seven

Three Years Later

After hunting with Kaden I have him on my shoulders and he laughs and squeals as he holds our game bag. "Faster mommy! I wanna say hi to Greasy Sae!" I laugh and start jogging a little quicker down the gravel road.

Sometimes I forget he's blind, because he's so happy and care free even if he can't see. I walk jog under the roof of the Hobb and see Greasy Sae cleaning her counter. She looks up and gives me a worn smile.

"Hey there mama, and junior." She says and I smile. When she calls me mama, it doesn't bother me anymore, because I just take the fact that I'm a mother. Greasy Sae grins. "Hey Kaden, because it's your birthday I can make you any cake you want.

"Can it be chocolate with bright colors?" She nods. "Yeah." He grabs onto my hand. "I'm getting my eyes back for my birthday." She smiles as he stares off into the distance.

She looks into my eyes and I let a tear roll down my cheek... I don't know why I'm crying, but I can feel it's of joy. "What's the first thing you want to see?" He squeezes my hand. "I wanna see my mommy, the prettiest woman I'll ever see," I laugh and scoop him up, kissing his cheeks.

"Thank you baby boy." He smiles his grey eyes shining with love. I hand Sae our game bag and grin. "Well I gotta head back to the house, a doctor from the Capitol will be here soon to fit him with his contacts... I'll pick up the cake later." I say with a smile.

She nods and I walk out of the Hobb with Kaden on my shoulders.

__________THE HOUSE____

I walk inside and a blue string of yarn flies over my head and Kaden hears me jump.

"What's wrong mommy?" He asks and I take his hand. "Nothing baby." Willow comes flying over to me grabbing the string with a grin as her dark curls fall over he face.

"Sorry mama! Daddy ad I are decorating!" There is colorful string everywhere around the house, balloons all over the floor and streamers on the ceiling. Peeta flys over to me and kisses me hard on the lips and breaks away with a grin.

He is extremely excited for Kaden today, so am I so I let a grin creep onto my face. "Hey honey." He says with a smile. He scoops up Kaden who is oblivious to everything and kisses his cheeks.

"Hey Buddy! Did you have fun hunting with mommy?" He nods vigorously. "The doctor will be here soon." My mouth drops. "Peeta Mellark! This place is a mess!" He kisses my cheek.

"The doctor won't care, it's a celebration." I shrug and he takes Kaden's hand. "How about you go into the living room and sing." He nods and feels his way to the living room. Peeta takes my trembling and sweaty hand and smiles.

"Why are you so nervous?" I shrug and he kisses my temple gently. "Your heads been bothering you hasn't it?" "It's nothing Peeta." I say looking at the ground. He lifts my chin and makes me look into his soft blue eyes.

"Katniss, how's your eyesight? How bad is it getting?" Tears flood from my cheeks. "It's getting worse, I-I don't want to leave the world early, I can't leave him and Willow... I can barely see a dear from 500 feet away." Peeta wraps his arms around my shaking form and I squeeze his shoulders as I smell his white shirt that smells of bread and dill.

"You should've told me before-" Then something stops us when we hear Kaden's soft voice filling the air with a song of his own.

"I haven't seen the world, I hope it's bright. I haven't seen the sun, I hope it shines. I haven't seen a soul, except for me. I haven't seen anything, nothing at all in the world I live in." Then his singing stops and I hear him sniffle. "I want to see my mommy... Because I know she's the most beautiful lady I'll ever see."