Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Katniss's POV

Willow runs around the house with her bunny hopping around as I try reading a book with my head in Peeta's lap. We're sitting on the couch and Buttercup is laying on my stomach as Peeta braids my hair. "Bunny slow down!" She squeals as it hops around.

Buttercup glares in its direction. I set down my book and rub him behind the ears with a giggle. "Are you jealous?" He mews and I smile.

Peeta kisses my fourhead. "Alright your hair is done." He says going to get up but I grab his face and kiss his lips. "Thank you sir, that was your pay." I say and he giggles and kisses me again but longer.

When he breaks away he smiles. "And that was my tip." Then I look outside where the snow is melting. "I'm going to go hunting, keep the rabbit inside so I don't shoot it." He nods and I grab my jacket and look at Willow who is brushing its hair.

"Willow, can you please get mommy's boots?" She nods with a giggle and grab my boots running over to me. She sets them in front of me and I pick her up into my lap and kiss her cheeks.

"Thank you my princess." She grins. "Your welcome my queen." I set her down and she frolics back to her bunny. I put them on and grab my scarf. I kiss Peeta's nose and walk out the door.

The smell outside is melting snow mixed with wet leaves, a normal smell to me scene I hunt so much. When Willow was a baby I could barely go hunting without getting called back home to her needing to be fed, or Peeta screaming for me to come back telling me she was taking her first steps.

But as I grab onto the wire to go into the woods I hear no call for me to come back. So I walk back into the woods and a grin spreads on my face. I grab my bow and arrows and sling my sheath over me and start walking in my hunting tread.

After a few hours of a few squirrels and skunks I hear a strange sound behind me and thumping. I turn and aim, letting my arrow fly. It hits Willows bunny right in the neck.

Buttercup stops running and takes in a huge breath of the cold air and hisses at it. It's blood is making the snow red and I pick it up to see if it still has a pulse... It doesn't. Tears roll down my flushed cheeks, thinking about how heart broken Willow will be.

I quietly take the dead bunny and burry it by a tree. I go to leave when I hear a squeak. I turn and see a baby bunny shaking in the cold and I kneel in front of it and pick it up in my palm.

"Hey there Squirt, where did you come from?" It sneezes and I put it in my jacket pocket where it will be welcomed by the warmth of the fleece. I look at Buttercup and huff. "You're sleeping outside you dumb cat." I say and start walking back to the fence.

When I get back into the Victors Village I see Haymitch walking over to our house and he sees the lump in my coat pocket and smirks. "You shot the damn rabbit and got her a baby one didn't you?" I shrug and he opens the door.

"Junior! Mommy's home!" She walks in with her bottom lip trembling and her eyes puffy and red. I kneel on my knee and she runs into my arms and bursts into trembling tears. Flashbacks start going through my mind, the first in a while and Peeta watches as my breathing quickens.

I swallow. "It's okay baby." I whisper kissing her curly brown hair. "He's gone! He left!" I pull out the baby bunny and smile. "This is Squirt, he's his ban brother and he needs a home... You think that you can take care of him while Hoppy is gone?" I set the baby bunny in her hands and she nods with tears still rolling down her cheeks.

I give her a tiny peck on her lips and lead her into the kitchen and set her at the table. She holds Squirt close to her and Peeta looks at me as I swallow the bile coming up into my mouth. "Willow, daddy's going to help you with the bunny but let me get mommy up to bed first." He helps me up the stairs and when he lays me down I moan softly at the pain in my head.

He kisses my lips and his blue eyes show extreme worry. "I killed it Peeta, I didn't mean to-" he shushes me and smiles. "It's okay, she's happy Katniss." I nod and he tucks the covers under my chin. "Get some sleep." That's when my eyes fall close.

I have nightmares all night, even when Peeta is whispering in my ear that I'm okay but nothing's working. Then I see Snow staving Willow and licking her blood off the sharp blade. I sit up and scream. "WILLOW!!!!!!!" And I burst into tears. Peeta isn't there and then he flies up the stairs with his face pale and Johanna is following.

"Katniss, Willow's not in the house." I jump out of bed and shove Johanna and Peeta out of the way and out the door, only in my nightgown and my feet bare against the snow.

I pad down to the fence and fly through the wires. I run and through the woods that are still dark and now my nightgown is soaking wet. I trip and hit my head hard against a tree trunk where blood starts falling from the wound.

"WILLOW!!!!!!" I stagger now with tears in my eyes and see her with a carrot and her jacket, boots, and mittens on. "Here Hoppy, please come home." She says waving it around and then I grab her from behind and she squeals.

She turns and gasps when she sees my face. "Don't ever do that again Weeping Willow Mellark!" I scream and her lip starts trembling. I kiss her four head and hold her close to me. Peeta and Johanna watch but I don't look up, I just cry into her little shoulder until the sun rises on this nightmare.

COMMENT AND VOTE! I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING JUST A LOT OF STUFF HAS BEEN HAPPENING SO... IF YOU NEED TO KNOW OR YOU ATE WORRYING ABOUT ME JUST INBOX ME AND LET ME KNOW... I'M SO SORRY :( PLEASE COMMENT! IF YOU ARE THE FIRST TO COMMENT THEN YOU GET A DEDICATION <3