Chapter Fifty Seven

Chapter Fifty Seven

Katniss's POV

Today is the day where I am getting the cancer removed from my brain with a risky surgery that has only been attempted twice. I lay in the hospital bed with Peeta kissing my four head, and gripping my hand as we wait for the sedatives to be brought to me.

"I love you so much." I kiss his lips gently and when I break away I give him a smile. "I love you too." He looks at my pale face as he holds my ice cold hand. My body hasn't been responding to the chemo correctly and now my body is shutting down, I don't dare tell Peeta or the kids.

He strokes my dark hair out of my eyes as my eyes droop with weariness. "Don't fall asleep Katniss, the kids want to say their goodbyes." "Peeta I'm not going to die." He frowns with tears rolling down his cheeks. "For now." He corrects himself. Kaden and Willow come in with smiles on their faces. I grin and they both hug me.

"You're going to be okay mama." They both say and I kiss both of their cheeks. "I know." Then the nurse comes in and smiles. "You ready?" I nod and she puts the needle in my arm that will make me slowly black out into oblivion. My vision turns fuzzy as I look at my family with a smile and then all of the sudden I black out.

____________________________

Twelve Hours Later

I jolt awake gasping and see myself back in my room without Peeta or the kids in the room. My head pounds horribly and I feel a large bump on the back of my head with stitches.

I look over and there is a old woman who has a cannula in her nose as she takes sharp breaths. I try to talk but my tongue is thick from the sedatives and she turns her head and looks at me. She smiles. "How are ya sweetheart?" She asks as she takes another sharp breath. "I'm good." I mumble and she nods. "What's your name?" "Katniss Mellark." Drool rolls down my chin and she chuckles. "Was this your first surgery?" I nod and she smiles, looking at the ceiling. "When I had my first surgery it was eighty years ago... I'm 96 years old, and have had thyroid cancer all my life, sense I was thirteen and haven't died yet."

"Why do you want to die so badly? Where's your husband?" "I never got married." She sighs, closing her eyes. "You've never loved someone?" She smiles. "I never said that Katniss." She looks away from me and looks at the ceiling, letting tears roll down her cheeks. "His name was Augustus Waters." I listen as she keeps looking at the ceiling.

"My name is Hazel Grace Lancaster and Gus was my boyfriend when I was sixteen... Even though our love story was short and tragic, it was epic. He was in remission from his cancer." She tells me about how she got really sick and Gus took her to this place called Amsterdam and he didn't tell her he was sick and before I knew it... He died, she lost the love of her life.

Tears flow down her cheeks and I close my eyes. "I shouldn't ever complain about what happened in my past... Because everything is my fault." She shushes me. "Well it is your fault because as the most amazing writer said... The fault dear Brutus is not in our stars but in ourselves, but you had to do it to make sure the people you loved survived." She closes her eyes and then smiles. "I'll be up with you soon Gus." "Hazel..." She opens her eyes a tad and I smile.

"Thank you, for finally letting me let go of the past." She nods. And with that Hazel flatlines with a smile on her face. She wasn't scared of death because Augustus would be waiting for her and nobody should be scared of death because oblivion is inevitable.

COMMENT AND VOTE!!!!!! WHOEVER COMMENTS FIRST GETS A DEDICATION!!!!!!!!! TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT!!!!!!!