The Letter

A long loud beep. Signalling his heart stopped.

"NO!" Rory screamed. Gigi let out a loud painful gasp.

"My baby!" Francine cried.

Lorelai turned her head into Luke's chest and cried harder.

"WAKE UP! YOU WILL NOT DIE! DO YOU HEAR ME! DAD WAKE UP! WE NEED YOU. YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER NEEDS YOU!" Rory screamed and cried as Logan just held her. Doctors and nurses rushed in and ushered everyone out.

"No! No!" Rory kicked as Logan picked her up and carried her out of the room

Logan even began crying at the pain that was clearly visible in Rory's eyes. Rory slid to the floor and cried. Logan just sat on the floor with her and held her. He let her cry and Lorelai joined the hug. Gigi and Francine did next and so did Luke.

An hour later no one had moved. The doctor came out and the group on the floor looked up to him. Hope in Gigi's eyes. But everyone else had pain and reality.

The doctor shook his head. No. No life. No dad. No son. No breath. No heartbeat. No.

Francine, Gigi, Lorelai, and Rory all held each other. Logan sat by. Ready to comfort. As did Luke.

Rory abruptly stood up. She went over to the door. She opened it and stepped inside. She left the door open and Logan watched as she took his hand.

"I hate you! You left me! You left Gigi!" She whispered to him.

--1 week later--

The baby shower went off without a hitch. There were games, cake, everything green themed. To keep the gender a surprise until later. All there close family and friends were invited. It was thrown at Rory and Logan's new home.

Every night since Chris died, she locked herself in her grandfathers old study. She slept there some nights. This was the one room that hadn't changed at all. Rory excused herself from the party and went to the study. She leaned against the door. She went over to his desk and looked in the center drawer. It had a letter with Rory's name on it.

She pulled it out and removed the seal. She pulled out a letter.

Dear Rory,

There's never been a time when I was disappointed with you. You always made me proud. You did things your own special Rory Gilmore way. You surprise me and the people around you. I only wish that I could go back to my Yale days. To be young and healthy. To live again. So much has happened these past few years. I'm not as healthy as I once was. I know I'm going to die. People die we pay. We pay not by money but with grief. With pain. Just don't pay to much. Rory, life will happen but if we let grief and pain get in the way then we'll never be able to live. You'll forever be paying. I hope this finds you well. This is all the things that my mother told me when my father died. Did I ever tell you that my first custom made Tux was for my father funeral. I never wore it again afterwords. I told my mother that I outgrown it. I couldn't bear to wear it. It was a painful reminder. I love you Rory. I love you too much to not tell you to live your life without as much pain as humanly possible.

Yours In heart,
Richard Gilmore