8: A Fight

After a pretty unevental dinner with Thomas, Scott and I returned to the suite that we would be sharing for the trip on the Titanic. It was almost past midnight so I decided not to visit my father at that time since I knew that he would either be drinking or sleeping. Scott took my shawl and I smiled at him.

"Thank you," I said as I smoothed out my skirt and Scott put his hands in his pockets after putting my shawl on the rack.

"I can sleep in the other room if you would like until the maids come so you can have the larger room," he told me as I yawned. I looked at him and realised that he was trying to make feel comfortable.

"We should get use to sleeping in the same bed. Now would be the time to get use to the arrangement that is our marriage," I said as I sat on the couch. He sat next to me and we were silent.

"I want to apologise for the fact that you were forced to marry me without a proper proposal or a basis of any of it," he said. I nodded and looked at him.

"It isn't your fault, Scott. Mr. Ismay is to blame for this and it isn't you," I said. He dug in his pocket and pulled out a simple ring that looked old. He slid off the couch and got on one knee.

"This is a terrible proposal but this is how things have to be and I at least can say that I was polite and asked you to marry me," he said.

"Yes, I will marry you," I said. He slid the simple ring on my ring finger on my left hand and kissed my fingers over the ring. I smiled and he looked up at me with a smile.

"Thank you Miss Morgan for accepting my proposal," he said as he stood. Then he did the most unexpected thing. He gave me a hug. I was frozen for a second and then hugged him back. "Sorry, it just felt right to show you some sort of affection after the proposal," he whispered as he leaned back and I nodded. He stood again.

"Would you like to sleep, Mae?" he asked. I yawned covering my mouth as I stood.

"I just need to change," I said as I looked towards the bedroom.

"Of course," he said.

***

On the morning of the 4th day of April, I sat in front of the vanity as I brushed my hair out. Scott took his leave about an hour before hand so I decided to get ready for the day while he was wherever he was. I dressed in my favourite blouse and skirt with my corset to at least not make a fool of my fiancé. It was also my nicest outfit that would be able to pull off as a first class outfit.

It was a weird thought to think that I was engaged to man that I had just met. I was just slightly in awe that I was to be married to man that I had known for less than twenty four hours but sometimes that's how things had to be.

"Your father is on his way to kill me," Scott said as he ran in and shut the door. I stood and walked to the sitting room.

"Whatever for?" I asked as Scott wiped his brow of the faint sweat that was forming.

"I went to tell him of our real engagement and asked for his blessing to which he threatened to kill me and started chasing me with a hot pipe," he said. He jumped as there was a harsh knock on the door.

"Let me in, you b*****d!" Father yelled from the other side. Scott stood up straight and walked to the door. I stood behind Scott and waited for Scott to open the door. He did and Father nearly killed both Scott and myself as he pushed Scott in the chest.

"Father!" I exclaimed as I ran between the two men.

"Mae, move. This son of a b***h said that he wanted my blessin' so he can marry you for real!" Father yelled. He tried to push pass me but I held him back. Scott stayed still as he watched my father go crazy to kill him. I realised he was letting me handle my own problem as a woman and my respect for him went through the roof.

"I know that! Scott and I aren't losing each other after the voyage. We will be creating a life for us in first class. We can't give that up," I said. He stared at me and I stood straighter as he studied.

"What would ya' mother say? You want to be a first class b***h," he said.

"You rather see me in the factories everyday? A marriage to Scott offers us a future. A secured future," I asked.

"I rather you work in a factory than be a first class lady," he said.

"I think Mae has enough dignity to remember where she came from," Scott finally stepped up. He placed a hand on my shoulder and it felt good to be supported. My father looked at him and punched him in the face.

"Oh my God! Help!" I screamed as Father unmercifully punched Scott. Or rather tried since Scott seemed to be holding his own. Officers ran in and pulled my father off of Scott.

"Ma'am, sir, what would you like us to do with him?" one of the officers asked. I looked at Scott and then my father.

"Return him to his deck and ensure that he doesn't come back up to this deck," I said. My father looked heartbroken but I forced myself to look away as he was pulled away. I hugged my arms and then walked to the bathroom.