23: An Apology

Scott and I sat on the deck, over looking the horizon as we just enjoyed each other's company. I looked at Scott ever so often and he kept his eyes on the horizon until one time and he looked back at me. I looked forward and felt my cheeks warm up under his graze and his laugh.

"Mae, what's wrong?" he asked. I looked back over.

"Nothing. Why would anything be wrong?" I asked. He smiled and leaned across to kiss my forehead.

"You are really something, you know that right?" he asked. I smiled and looked back at the horizon.

"Mae." It wasn't Scott but I knew the voice.

"Father?" It came out as a question as I stood. Scott stood behind me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"You are really goin' to marry this b*****d?" Father asked as he walked closer. Scott stepped to my side and stared at my father that was suddenly frozen in his place.

"This b*****d has a name," I stated. Father closed his eyes as he took a deep breath.

"You are really goin' to marry Scott?" he asked as he reopened his eyes.

"I am. Your opinion has already been heard, so leave," I said, even though it hurt a lot to say it out loud to him. I didn't want him to leave.

"Mae, I wanted to apologise to you and your fiancé," Father said.

"You tried killing me, William. That is something that we can forgive easily," Scott cut in, which I was happy for since I was getting all choked up and I didn't know what to say anymore.

"I am aware of that," Father said. I looked at the horizon as I blinked away my tears and Scott touched my back.

"So why are you here?" I asked as I looked back to my father.

"Mae, you know that I ain't the beggin' type but I am beggin' you to forgive me for my wrongdoings," Father said and I set my jaw as I lifted my head to make sure that I seemed stronger than I was.

"I can't do that when I am not the one you should be apologising to. You tried to kill my fiancé and love. You should be begging to him for forgiveness for trying to kill him. You should be asking me to forgive you for going against my wishes," I told him. Father looked at me like I had wounded him so deeply.

"Scott, please forgive me for tryin' to kill," he said. Scott shook his head.

"As I already said William, trying to kill me is not something that we can forgive easily. It's something that I cannot forgive easily," Scott said. Father looked at me.

"Mae..." Father said. I licked my bottom lip.

"I can never forgive you for going against my wishes. Scott offers me a real future that would ensure that I will never have to work and I would be protected for the rest of my days. You didn't understand that," I said as I looked into his eyes. The eyes that use to look at me adoration that suddenly only had sadness.

"Miss Morgan! Mr. Sire! We apologise! He snuck past all the officers on the lower deck," an officer said as he grabbed my father's arm. I looked at Scott and he looked at the officers.

"I figured that out," Scott said. My father watched me and I looked away completely from him.

"Did he try to do anything?" the officer asked as he put handcuffs on my father.

"No sir, but next time that you promise that someone will not be allowed near us, hold that promise through and though," Scott said. The officer pulled my father and nodded.

"Don't worry. This man won't even be on the ship anymore. The captain told us that if anyone was to disrupt Miss Morgan that they were to be escorted of the ship or to the jail cells. Since we docked, he will be escorted off the ship," the officer said. I looked at my father and then Scott.

"Mae," Father said and Scott put me behind him as the officer slapped my father. I flinched and held Scott's jacket.

"Silence or I will place you in a cell," the officer said. I could only see the back of Scott's jacket as I heard a fight break out. I peered out from behind Scott as Scott went towards my father and the officer that had started fighting. I covered my mouth and Scott tried his best to separate my father and the officer.

"We have a lady present that doesn't need to observe the violence between the two of you. Now, Officer, do what you must with this man but do not fight with him again while in the presence of my fiancée. If I even hear a rumour that you were fighting with anyone near my fiancée again, I will ensure that you get no where near my fiancée ever again," Scott said, firmly. I touched Scott's arm as I walked closer to him and the officer that was holding my father by his arm.

"I believe you all should do your jobs before I have to it myself," I stated and all three men looked at me.

"Yes, Miss Morgan," the officer said as he dragged my father away. I closed my eyes and Scott touched my shoulder.

"Are you doing well?" Scott asked. I opened my eyes and nodded.

"As well as I can be doing at the moment," I said. He hugged me and I smiled against his chest.

"Miss Morgan, Mr. Sire, it's a pleasure to see you again," Captain Smith said. He walked towards us with an older lady at his side.

"Captain Smith, it is an honour to see you again as well," Scott said as he took my arm.

"Sarah, meet the Titanic's most honoured guests, Mr. Scott Sire and Miss Mae Morgan," Captain Smith told the older lady, "Miss Morgan, Mr. Sire, meet my wife, Sarah."

"Miss Mae Morgan, the same young woman that drew your picture on the 3rd?" Mrs. Smith asked. I smiled.

"Yes, Sarah," Captain Smith said.

"It was an honour to draw your husband," I told Mrs. Smith. She smiled.

"We simply must go to the restaurant on the pier with them Edward," Mrs. Smith said. Captain Smith smiled and looked at us.

"Would you two join us for dinner in say an hour?" Captain Smith asked. I nodded and smiled at Scott.

"It would be a pleasure," Scott said. Captain Smith smiled and nodded.

"We will meet you here in an hour and we call a taxi for the four of us," Captain Smith said. Scott nodded and then we quickly walked to our suite.