Chapter 31

Niall POV

I woke up from my nap with a sinking feeling. Everything seemed to be going so well, and now it seemed to be falling apart. I threw on a clean pair of sweats and headed back downstairs. There was no point in avoiding the situation.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, the boys were all huddled around the TV playing FIFA. They didn't even notice me walk into the room. I took a seat on the couch.

"Hi." I said quietly. Zayn paused the game and they all looked to me.

"How are you feeling?" Harry asked.

"Better, I guess." I said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Liam asked.

"I guess. I just don't know how to even handle the situation." I admitted.

"What normal person would?" Zayn said.

"I'm not dealing with this again. They can't just order me around and tell me what to do its not going to fly." I said.

"I agree. This is crossing the line a bit too far." Louis said.

"Yeah."

"I've been thinking about this, and the only way we can really show McClain and the company that they don't control us is by doing the opposite of what they want us to do." Liam said. He was right, but it was a bit of a shock coming out of his mouth.

"Liam's gone bad everybody." Louis joked. It lightened the mood a bit, and for that I was glad.

"No, but I'm serious. This isn't fair, what he's doing to Niall, and to be honest what he's done to our band all along. We are the members of the band, and we hardly get any say in what goes on. They decide everything, and I'm tired of it." Liam said.

"Woah there, slow down Liam. We can only handle one problem at a time." Harry teased and everybody laughed.

"So we have to do the opposite of what he wants us to do." I asked.

"Well yeah." Liam said.

"Care to elaborate?"

"So he wants you to dump Torre and date Spencer Collins."

"Yes."

"So, don't dump Torre and don't date Spencer Collins. Meet with her on Monday and tell her you have a girlfriend and you're not going through with this 'deal.' Then in the next interview,  tell them you and Spencer Collins are just friends and tell them about Torre. And all the while have McClain thinking you've agreed to his terms. The company might not be happy about it, but they can't take back anything you say, and the worst they can do is drop us, which they won't do considering how successful we are right now." Liam had a good point. No company in their right mind would drop us right now, and if the interview is live, there is no taking back whatever I say.

"That seems like it's my only choice." I admitted. "It just feels like its all going to blow up in my face."

"I know how you feel, but you can't keep worrying about it. Everything works out in the end. Think about the first time McCain bossed you around, you ended up meeting Torre, so I'm positive everything will work out with this, too." Zayn said. They were right, it's not like I could change anything that had happened so far, so I just have to work around their plans for me.

"You're right, I don't want to think about it anymore." I said.

"We'll make you forget about this mess." Louis said mischievously. All the boys laughed, and they handed me a game controller. We ordered a pizza and spent the rest of the night playing video games. I almost forgot about the problem at-hand, but was reminded of what a headache it was when I heard a small beep come from my phone sitting on the table. I picked it up and saw it was a message from an unknown number. I opened the message and instantly that all-too-familiar sickening feeling came back to me again.

*Hey Niall! This is Spencer! It is my understanding that we are to meet up on Monday night! :) I was just wondering what the plans were!*

I groaned and started to type a message back. I certainly didn't want to lead her on, but I didn't want to tell her "hey I'm totally into somebody else and not going to even pretend to be dating you" over text. I tried to settle for something in-between.

*Hi there! I was wondering the same thing. Do you just want to meet up at a restaurant?* I pressed send. Not flirty, but not really dismissive either. Seconds later, I got a reply.

*Sure! Have any place specific in mind? (Hint: My favorite food is pizza ;)* I kind of giggled at her response. If I wasn't dating Torre, she seems like the kind of girl I'd go for, kind-hearted, but not afraid to speak her mind or act goofy. Besides, it wasn't exactly her I was angry with, it was her company and mine.

*Well then, why don't we go to the Italian Restaurant at the corner of Main Street and Grand Blvd.?*

*See you then, popstar!*

*Haha okay, see ya.* Well at least I got that over with, somewhat. The boys and I had now decided to go outside and go to the pool, even though it was dark out. We all changed into our swim trunks and headed out through the back. We all got in the pool and swam for awhile together. It was nice just to hang and joke around with the boys. With everything that has changed these last couple weeks, they are the one thing that has stayed the same.

***

It's now Monday, and I'm meeting Spencer tonight. It should be interesting...I guess. I just want to get it over with. I don't want to too much attention to us yet, so I'm just going to have Ricky drive me over to the restaurant.

I have worried so much over this I'm just ready for it to be done, and honestly, at this point, I don't care anymore. There is no feeling, other than for Torre. I know I've been a dick to everyone the past couple days, but I can't help it. I'm just angry all the time. Why did I ever have to be put in this position? This is now what I signed up for. None of the other boys have to deal with this stuff. It's so unfair and I can't help it that I'm jealous that the rest of the boys just get to keep living their perfect little lives while I'm caught up in this storm of a mess.

I walked out of the house and hopped into the backseat of the black vehicle.

"Hey, Niall. Where are we headed?" Ricky asked.

"Italian restaurant at Main and Grand." I said monotone. Ricky sensed my anger so just nodded and started driving. We were silent the entire ride, I'm assuming because Ricky knew not to test my patience. When we arrived, I didn't even mumble a 'thank you' before slamming the door and hurrying inside before anyone saw me. As I walked in, I asked the host if Spencer was here and he shook his head no. He grabbed two menus and headed to the back of the restaurant as I followed behind. I took a seat. She should be here soon, but I'm not in any hurry.

The waitress came over to the table and I ordered a glass of water, just waiting. I had to do this well. I can't be a total jerk, but at the same time, she means nothing to me, unlike Torre, who means everything. I glanced at my watch. It's been ten minutes and she's still not here and now I'm starting to get impatient.

I was sitting there thinking she may not show up and I might be off the hook until a later time, when I saw the doors to the restaurant open, and in walked what seemed would be the death of me.