Chapter 49

Chapter 49

I make my way around the large dining room table, taking my place in the usual spot. My mother and Jacob also find their normal places at the table, laying their hands in their lap. The room is oddly quiet and filled with tension. All eyes are on Michael as he takes the seat next to me, sitting up as straight as he possibly can.

“You don’t have to impress anyone” I say while leaning up to whisper in Michael’s ear, he gives me an apprehensive smile in return.

I can tell he’s nervous so I allow him to place a hand on my knee, rubbing small circles like usual. My mother clears her throat before grabbing the dish of grilled chicken and taking a piece, then she passes it on to Jacob. While they’re doing that, I grab the mashed potatoes and place a spoonful on my plate before handing them to Michael as he does the same. Once all the food is passed around, and everyone has one of everything on their plate, everyone begins to eat quietly.

My mother only stares at her plate, not wanting to meet anyone’s eye, while Jacob is stealing glances from everyone. He is an outgoing child when he is with people that know him pretty well, unlike the people at school.

“So, why’re you in America?” Jacob asks with his mouth full, looking up at Michael.

This grabs my mother’s attention, the food on her plate no longer seeming interesting. Michael swallows what he was chewing before answering.

“Well, I’m in a band, and we were on tour in America, and we just finished so we have been staying in L.A. for a little bit” he answers with a smile.

“What’s your band called?” Jacob asks before taking a large bite of chicken.

“5 Seconds of Summer” Michael blushes.

“Oh, I’ve heard of it, girls at school rave over you” He laughs.

I smile down at my hands, before continuing to eat my food while listening to the conversation go on. I can tell Michael is very awkward when it comes to talking about the band. I know he loves it because it is his dream come true, but he doesn’t want to come off across as cocky. I’ll never see it that way, no matter how much he talks about it, because I know he is really gracious for everything that has come his way.

“My sister has a famous boyfriend, that’s pretty cool” Jacob nods in appreciation, making me giggle.

The room returns back to its tension filled silence, all that can be heard are forks scratching the plates below us. I really wish my mom would attempt to engage without causing any problems but I know it isn’t going to happen, which is such a shame.

“I see your hair is still an un-natural color” My mom states, sending me a cold glare.

“Yeah” I smile, brushing it off, “I really like it”

I am not going to give into her insults, I know she is just trying to get under my skin, and I’m not going to let it happen. I am here for Jacob, not to be patronized by her. I want to have a good time, for my brother, so she can’t do anything to ruin it.

“I like it, too” Michael says quietly while shyly smiling down at me for support.

The rest of dinner was filled with small talk about the weather in Los Angeles compared to here. It was nothing interesting, but it was better than being insulted to say the least. After that my mom brought out a chocolate cake for Jacob. The icing was a precise design of green, Jacob’s favorite color, and white detailing. After all of us had a piece on the small plates in front of us I spoke out.