Chapter 48

Chapter 48

“Mom?” I call, my voice echoing through the vacant house. “Mom?”

“Charlotte?” I hear her reply, followed by footsteps clicking down the hall.

Suddenly her skinny frame appears in the door way, she is in her business casual clothes, only a little bit toned down from usual. She is wearing minimal make up, she must just be in the process of putting it on because she usually wears a lot more. Her hair is neatly straightened and precisely pulled back in a ponytail. She looks worse than usual, I can see some streaks of grey in her natural blonde hair. Some wrinkles are also beginning to form on her face, she seems really stressed out. Showing up uninvited probably isn’t helping, but it is my house too, after all.

“What are you doing here?” She asks in a state of happy confusion, but her smile fades when she notices Michael standing behind me. “What is he doing here?”

“We came for Jacob’s birthday” I state plainly, trying to ignore her judgment towards Michael.

“Oh, I see” She says walking into the kitchen, as I follow, Michael trailing warily behind. “You could have given me some notice”

The kitchen looks kind of dirty, probably because it used to be my job every week to clean it. Even if this is the house I grew up in, it all seems different now. Random items are spread everywhere, straying from the usual neatness of the home. I guess me not being here is a big change for people other than me, but I think it’s good for all of us. It was starting to get more tense with each passing day while I was here, and I’m still unaware as why.

The tension hasn’t really subsided either, I can still feel it. I don’t think Mom likes Michael being here, but I don’t care, because I’m glad I have someone by my side. She can’t  take that away, He’s here because he wants to be, it’s not like I dragged him here. So she needs to get her act together and welcome him, just like I would have to do when she brought a guy home.

“I figured it would be better for Jacob if it was a surprise” I mumble, sitting down at a bar stool as she begins to clean dishes out of the sink.

“I suppose” She says blandly, drying her hands on a towel.

“Hey Mom?” I hear Jacob call while descending the stairs, causing a smile to creep upon my face.

“Have you seen my-“ he cuts off  when he reaches the last step, coming into view of the kitchen, “Charlotte”

He immediately picks up pace and throws his arms around me, I return the favor. It feels like forever since I’ve last seen him, because it has almost been that long. I feel kind of bad for not coming to visit, but it only caused more problems.

“Happy birthday, kiddo” I smile as he releases me from his tight embrace.

“I missed you so much” he says, a grin plastered across his face.

“I missed you too, Jakey” I say ruffling his hair.

“I think you should stop calling me that, I’m fifteen now” he explains in a serious tone.

“Nope” I reply, “You will always be little Jakey to me.”

“Ugh” he sighs, “It was worth a shot”

“Good try, Bro” I laugh.

I really did miss him though, I had gotten so used to seeing him every day that he looked different to me. He had gotten a little taller, taller than me at least, but that isn’t hard to do. Also, his hair looks more taken care of than it used to be, now it is kind of spiked up in the front. Along with that he has some new clothes that I can see, he is really pulling himself together, and I have a feeling it is for that girl. I’ll have to bring it up later, I guess, now doesn’t seem like the right time..