four years later

get ready for the cringe

i was a senior in college, studying art in nyu, living in one of the dorms connected to the college with riley.

four years had passed since the last time i had seen the three boys.

at the end of our senior year, we began to slowly drift apart. choosing different colleges in different states took a toll on our friendship until there suddenly was no friendship.

since the 8th grade the four of us had decided that we wanted to go to college in california, buy a house and live in los angeles together.

they were disappointed when i told them that i was gonna stay in new york and study art here.

farkle was the most upset as we had just begun our relationship and we were both happiest we had ever been.

we promised each other we weren't breaking up and that we'd face time, call, text, skype, that we'd do anything to keep us going.

the first year was great, texting each other everyday, skyping every night, calling each other as often as possible whether it was in between classes or after.

but then our freshman year ended and the everyday calls became every other day calls until we only called once a week.

when we both realized it wasn't going to work, we broke up and stopped talking. the only person i kept it contact with was lucas. he was the only one who accepted me staying in new york since he knew just how passionate i was about art.

things ended horribly with farkle and zay.

zay practically hated me for 'breaking up' the group and blocked me on all social media's and my number. the last time i saw him was when he came to my house the night before he was leaving to say goodbye to my parents.

he was so upset at me and i could tell he wanted to cry when i told him that i loved him.i i made him say goodbye to me and we hugged, he tried to let go but i held him tight until he gave up and hugged me even tighter.

'i'm gonna miss you baby,' he said to me, halfway in tears.

i let go of him and kissed his cheek. 'i'll come to visit, okay?' i said to him.

he nodded his head and we hugged once more before he walked to the door and left.

little did we both know that would be the last time either of us would speak to eachother.

him and riley broke up the same day because they both wouldn't be able to handle being apart for so long. they promised that if they were to ever live in the same town again, they would try again

farkle came over the next day and we spent the whole day watching disney movies in my living room and driving around town singing at the top of our lungs our favorite songs.

when he had to leave, we both cried and wouldn't let go.

'i love you maya.'

he kept repeating those four words to me in between kisses and it made my heart hurt even more.

in that moment i almost changed my mind, almost told him that i would go with him to college and forget about art. i just wanted to be with him. i didn't do it because although i loved him, i knew i would never be able to forgive myself. art was my passion and i couldn't leave it.

he left that day, both of us in tears, wishing that it was some type of dream.

lucas came over the next day and we had pizza, watching scary movies the whole day, laughing the whole time, reminiscing on the good days.