Drunken Giggles

The girls made their way through the winding path before them, the company following behind. The girls knew that they were at Rivendell and they also knew of Thorin's persistent hatred of the elves, but that was just something he was seriously going to need to get over. They also understood that Rivendell had baths, and beds and proper food, causing the girls to move with more haste than necessary.

Looking up they could see the sunlight falling from where the hard, crooked walls were splashed with light. The stone on either side of them was dangerously tight, causing any claustrophobia inside the company to rise. No one talked as they made their way through, just the sound of feet scuffing on stone and the clinking of weapons jingling from belts. There was also something else in the air, something strange, something enchanted. Cece and Rosie understood that it was the magic of the elves however that did not stop them from feeling almost giddy like.

They eventually saw the opening of the path which led out onto stone steps leading down, a small trickle of water falling behind them. Rivendell peeled itself open to them, as beautiful and magical as ever. The sunlight gleaming against the hauntingly beautiful buildings, causing the water to sparkle gold and the air to glint with something not quite real, the only thing that wasn't beautiful in that moment, was Thorin's scowl.

"This was your plan all along," Thorin growled at no one in particular, he was going to continue when Gandalf stopped him.

"They are not your enemy Thorin, no one sees that but you," He sighed. Rosie shuffled forward and past the dwarves to where her friends sat, their feet dangling over the edge of the small cliff. They sat in silence hearing the distant squabbles between Gandalf and Thorin whilst they breathed fresh, clean air, allowing the magical aurora to course through them.

"I'm so ready for a bath," Frankie sighed, her head tipped back, the sunlight pooling on her features.

"You are? I'm so ready just to get out of these bloody clothes," Rosie sighed, lying down against the warm stone.

"Are you saying bloody because your clothes are literally covered in blood, or just because your British?" Cece asked, a smile in her voice. When Gandalf and Thorin were done, they got up and started heading down the stone steps to the open gates of Rivendell, the view was unbelievably breathtaking. Something that you just simply could not pull your eyes from even if you wanted to. They walked over the bridge and into the circular ledge where there was another set of stone stairs leading upwards.

"You ready to meet Lindir?" Cece whispered into the ears of her friends.

"Is he cute?" Frankie whispered back. Just then an elf began walking down the stone steps, greeting Gandalf. They conversed of Lord Elrond, with Gandalf asking of his whereabouts when a horn was sounded. Cece, without saying anything, grabbed her two friends and pulled them over to where Gandalf and Lindir were. Guiding them down safely onto the heated stone steps. The girls watched, amused, as the elves rode in, obviously not expecting a group of dwarves to be standing there. They watched how the dwarves prepared for an attack, listening to their obstinate king.

"Gandalf!" Came the call of their leader.

"Lord Elrond," Gandalf smiled back. They conversed in Elvish causing the girls to raise an eyebrow, it was beautifully spoken, but hard to know its true beauty when they did not understand what they were saying. They conversed for a while soon switching back to the language which they understood.

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain," Lord Elrond said, giving his utmost respect to the dwarf.

"I do not believe we have met," Thorin simply retorted.

"You have your grandfather bearing," Lord Elrond continued, "I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain," The girls winced at these words, not the best thing to say.