Laketown's Hope

The company was getting ready to sneak out in the evening, bags prepped and prepared, everything in order. They were to sneak out following Bard's directions, who was, in fact, coming with them, bag and the black arrow on his back. They waited until the sky had once again turned dark and you could no longer distinguish shapes and objects that were a few feet in front of you. Then they started to creep out and away.

"Come on," Bard hissed, and the company followed, for once actually trying to be quiet. They followed Bard once again over the wooden bridges which he knew so well, at moments they would have to pause and wait for the danger that Bard has seen pass. It felt good to be outside again after being housebound for the past few days, of course, a dragon awaited them, but we won't fret about that right now.

Things were running smoothly, everything was on track, everyone was quiet. Well, that was before Bombur lost his balance and fell backwards taking Bofur, Bifur and Gloin with him into the icy water. The loud splash echoed throughout the small valley and the whole company froze. The poor dwarves which fell in the water were now trying, very quietly, to get out but they're feet kept slipping on the wet, wooden floor.

"Help them up," Thorin hissed as he checked around the corner for any guards coming, prepared to cut them down if it came down to it. A few more dwarves crowded around the area and began pulling the others out who were now spluttering and shivering. "Quiet," Thorin hissed once again and a silence once again fell on the company. In this moment of silence, nothing could be heard except the mewling of a cat not too far away, a breath of the relief echoed through the company.

Then they heard footsteps. They were not too far away, a pitter patter on the wooden floor and it wasn't too long before another pair of feet joined them, and another. Suddenly, the calling of men could be heard and the panic rose rather quickly in their chests.

"Come on! Come on!" Bard whisper-shouted and the company was once again moving, this time with more haste. They wove in and out of buildings, taking more precaution this time when turning corners and moving over bridges. At some point, the footsteps they heard earlier moved above their heads, slowly and cautiously, so quiet that if a pin were to drop it would surely echo around the town and even up the mountain. "Move on," Bard breathed, and they did. They were just turning one of the last few corners to the gate at the other end of town to which they entered when they got a rather unpleasant surprise.

"Well, well, well," The company was just shuffling their way around a house when a cocky, sardonic voice could be heard. Turning around, behind them, they could see a large selection of guards all standing with smirks on their faces, in the middle stood an arrogant Alfred Lickspittle. "The Master's gonna be not too happy about this," He said, grinning and showing off a horrible set of teeth, "Not too happy at all."

Each of the members of the company was grabbed and dragged away by one of the guards, unfortunately, their numbers somehow managed to largely outweigh the companies. They were hauled away in a direction that was opposite to the one they were going, yet the girls held no fear, this should all work out just peachy.

"Ah, Bard," Alfred called and walked over to where Bard was now covered in restraints. "Looks like we finally caught you in the act," He sneered, "Nowhere to run now," He grinned, "I did it, I caught 'im, Master might now give me that raise," He glowered before boastfully walking away, the guards and company following in pursuit. They were hauled once more forward, the town now awakening at the shouts and clomping of boots that emitted from the guards.

Members of the town crept out of their houses and watched with wide, curious eyes as the company were jostled past, none of them saying anything, just watching. Some of them followed behind the throng of dwarves and men (and a hobbit) and others joined and soon there was a crowd following them through the town. By the time they had made it to the home of the master, almost every man and woman inhabiting Lake Town were stood around the sides, watching and waiting.