Chapter 2

Skylynn's POV

I headed home after a long day at school. Despite school being terrible and my car damaged, in reality, it was much better than being at home. I noticed Will's expensive car still beside mine and I had half the mind to run my keys along the side of the door.

But I didn't.

I got into my car and drove myself home, the drive peaceful. Mom was certain to be home, Dad not so much. I pulled into the driveway and turned the ignition off, sitting for a good 5 minutes deciding whether I should go in or not.

I locked my car and headed inside, the smell of Mom's cooking overtaking my nose immediately. She called out a small hello from the kitchen in our overly large house. I headed for the kitchen when I noticed Dave, my step-dad.

"Good Afternoon Sky," he smiled. "How was school?" He asked.

I smiled fakely, putting my bag on the sofa. "It was fine. Rich boy jacked up my car," I mumbled.

Dave chuckled, holding his hand out. "Give me your keys. I'll go take a look," he ordered. I frowned, handing him my keys reluctantly. That car cost me an entire summer of working, and the sad thing was that if he ordered something, I immediately caved.

I knew what he was capable of.

He took my keys, his finger brushing my skin left shivers down my body, and not the good ones you feel when your crush touches you. Quite the opposite. He turned and headed outside, I immediately let my smile drop and headed for Mom.

"Where's Dad heading?" She asked.

I internally groaned. "Dave," I corrected. "Is looking at my car. How was your day?' I asked her, placing a kiss on her cheek.

"It was great. Finished my shift at the hospital early this morning at the same time as Mary so we went to get coffee. We're you okay with Dave last night?" She asked.

I nodded quietly. No Mom, he was controlling. Don't get me wrong, Dave is a nice person. He would drop anything to look after me or Mom but I think the lack of control he felt due to him lacking his own children warped the way he treated me.

He knew I was vulnerable. My father was jailed five years ago and Mom was an emotional wreck. She moved on quick enough but I didn't. I missed Dad, but his actions were wrong. He chose to get involved with a gang-related matter and he knew the consequences.

We had this amazing house that cost more than Mom could ever afford before she met Dave. Anyone who saw this would picture the perfect family, but that was quite the opposite. We were a damaged family, split and brought back together by a new man.

My big brother moved away when Dad was jailed. He couldn't stand to be in this town where our family was split. When he heard about Mom and Dave he was furious. He wasn't old enough to move away yet, so he stayed with his friend for 2 years.

When he turned 18 three years ago, he moved out of town to go to University and he promised he would come visit and eventually give me a place to live when he had his degree sussed. He lived up to his promise of visiting, despite his hatred towards Dave and his degree was complete at the end of this year.

I had become used to my life here. I did everything Dave asked me, knowing that if I didn't there would be more than just 'no phone' punishments. I had experienced it only once. Two years ago I disobeyed him. It wasn't pretty and I swore to never do it again.  

"What happened to your car?" Mom repeated, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I chuckled softly. "Spoilt rich boy is what happened. He just whipped in beside me and hit the back end. He's paying for the damages," I explained.