Chapter 19

Skylynn's POV

We drove out of the prison area and into the town up north. It was lunchtime and Zoey was getting cranky. Will let me drive his car, his eyes on me the entire time as he watched in case I crashed it.

We found a small takeaway shop and ordered our food before we headed down to the beach. Zoey immediately ran for the water and ignored her hunger when we arrived. I rolled my eyes. She was safe but I still kept an eye on her as we unpacked the car.

We found a small picnic table and sat down while Zoey splashed in the shallow water. I sat beside Will in silence, grabbing a fry.

"How was your Dad?" He asked.

I grinned at the thought of it. "They've cleared up a few things with his case. His time has been cut down to a few months rather than years," I said, nearly bursting with excitement.

Will smiled as well. "Hey! Thats really good. You're thinking of going to live with him?" He asked.

I nodded. "I think he'll move back to Seattle. I mean Mom would bring up a court case if he wanted me to leave and thats not the best for his case right now. Besides, you think I'd just pack up and take Zoey away from our wonderful town and the amazing school and my amazing family right?" I said sarcastically.

He laughed. "I know you would," He said honestly.

I shrugged. "I probably would. Who would pass up the opportunity to leave Dave, Jessa and all the fucking rumours behind?" I nearly screamed, the thought excites me.

Will frowned, his attitude changing suddenly. I mirrored his frown. His smile was so contagious and the second it disappeared made me feel sad. He looked away at Zoey in the distance, his mouth in a flat line.

I watched him, my eyes pleading. What had I said to upset him? I wanted his smile back. I wanted him to watch me and tease me and I wanted the playful Will back.

"Tell me about your family," I said suddenly. I recalled him mentioning it but I wanted to know more.

He turned back to me for a moment while he chewed his fry. "I live with my Mom and Dad. My Mom works with newborn babies in the care area in the hospitals and Dad owns his own business," He said briefly.

I nodded, impressed. "You don't have any siblings?" I asked.

"My sister. Shes just started her freshman year of High school," he explained.

I smiled. "Really? She's at our school?"

He shook his head. "You're going to think this is selfish," He said. I frowned. What did he mean by that? "My sister has ADHD and mild down syndrome. When I started here I swore if she ever came to the same school as me I'd drop out and become a male stripper,"

I laughed softly, shaking my head in amusement. "I'm sure anyone at our school would do anything to see that,"

He smirked, turning towards me. "Even you?"

I shrugged. "I wouldn't mind," I answered honestly.

He rolled his eyes. "I knew you'd say yes" he teased. I laughed in response. "My sister is the most caring person I know and now that I'm older I feel terrible for treating her so low. Her name's Emily,"

I nodded, taking in the information. I felt the need to meet her. In a way, Will had struggled with something himself. His sister would be more work than any usual sister and not that it was a problem but I guess he wanted to help someone else out to redeem himself for disrespecting his sister.

Zoey suddenly appeared, her clothes and hair soaking. I gaped at her as she grabbed some fries, the water dripping onto the food. I took my eyes away from her for a few seconds and she had taken a dive.