Chapter 3

Skylynn's POV

I hugged Mom goodbye as she grabbed her bag. It was nearly midnight and yet she was just called into work. Being a nurse was an exhausting job for her. She held me tightly, rubbing my back.

"I'll see you after school?" She whispered.

I nodded, letting her go. She placed a small kiss on Dave's cheek and said goodbye before she left. I immediately turned and climbed back to my room. I refused to sit downstairs with a controlling terrifying stepfather.

I shut my door, placing my dresser table against it to hold my door shut. I then grabbed my phone and dialled Joseph's number. I needed someone I trust right now. He answered after a few rings.

"How's the step-monster?" he immediately asked.

I chuckled, shaking my head in amusement. "A Hi would be nice J! I was actually calling to see how you were," I explained.

He laughed. "Oh, sure! What a convenient time to call Sky. Mom went to work?" he asked. I replied with yes. "Sky he hasn't hurt you?" he said seriously.

"No, no. Everything's fine J! Honestly, how are you?" I asked.

He let out a deep breath. "I'm great. One year left in this hell then I'm coming back to find a place for you and I," he said. "I promised you I would Sky. I'm not forgetting my promises," he finished.

"Thanks, J. Speaking of promises. When's your next visit?" I asked.

"Mom said I should come for a visit in a few weeks and there's no way in hell you're staying alone if she takes me out. I'll be down then,"

"Thank you," I whispered.

It touched me that he cared. Of course, he was the brother who bullied me and teased me and took my stuff. But as he grew up and our family situation changed, he was more of a guardian figure than Mom or Dave either way.

"I have to go Sky, I have an assignment due tomorrow," he said. "Okay," I whispered. "Sky, please call me if anything happens. I really don't trust him," he said.

I muttered a 'mmhm' before farewelling him goodbye. That night I realized how much I missed our family. I missed my brother and his teasing. I missed Mom and Dad's arguments and their lessons. Our family was imperfect, but it would never get as fucked up as it is now.

--------------------------------------

I slid into my seat at lunch, waiting for Shane. I needed him right now. He was the only one who knew about my situation. He would stick up for me every time despite Dave's threats. I played with the hem of my shirt, not hungry.

When I felt a presence in front of me, I immediately let out a sigh. "Shane, I need you come ov-" I stopped when I noticed Will across from me, his bag on the table. I frowned, crossing my arms over my chest. "Sorry, I thought you were someone else,"

"I'm not going to talk about what I saw yesterday Sweetheart," he said immediately. "Unless you want to,"

"I expect you not too. It's none of your business," I snapped.

He frowned. "Okay, that was harsh. Are you okay?" He asked seriously.

I laughed softly, questioning his question. "Relax Will, nothing happened. Will you go, Will?" I teased, his smile rising at my use of his name a million times. "Jessa look's like she's about to kill the both of us,"

"Fuck her," he muttered, glancing over his shoulder at Jessa who's glare turned into a smile.

It's nice to know she could be as fake as I could. "I didn't know you were a counsellor," I teased sarcastically.