Chapter 23

Song of the chapter: Unsteady by X ambassadors

———————
Skylynns POV

Mom sat the dining room table nervously, her hands shaking in her lap. Will had kindly offered to take Zoey out for half an hour or so while we talked to Dave. It wasn't something I had hoped to witness but I couldn't leave Mom alone.

He burst into the house his hair a mess and his clothes uneven on his body. I frowned, sitting up straighter. Mom did too, a small smile rising onto her fragile face. She was scared shitless.

She stood from the table and nodded her head at Dave in acknowledgment. He looked at me briefly before scrunching up his nose. He was drunk.

"What is this?" He slurred, folding his arms over his chest.

"An intervention for your drinking problem," I responded sarcastically. Dave's face immediately dropped and he didn't look happy. Mom glared at me shortly.

"She's kidding," she rushed. Dave leaned against the kitchen bench and sighed. "This isn't working David. I know how you feel about Skylynn and I and I can't put my child and my husband's child at risk," she admitted honestly.

Daves' face dropped before he smirked. I looked away. This wasn't going to end well. He clenched his fists as he tried to comprehend what was going on before he turned his back to us.

I raised an eyebrow as he grabbed another beer bottle and popped the lid. "I knew this was coming. Your little bitch of a daughter would've told you sooner or later," he spat.

He took a swig of the alcohol and scrunched up his nose. "This is fucking disgusting but I will drink it either way," he said aloud. "Continue," he slurred.

"David would you put the alcohol down and have a proper fucking conversation. She's young, she doesn't deserve your abuse!" Mom screamed. "You have no right to lay your hands on her, I could've called the cops months or years ago," she yelled.

Dave raised an eyebrow. "Then why didnt you?" He asked. She shrugged. "Because you're scared of me. And so are you," he pointed to me. "You could've shown all those scares as proof but you were too busy running away with you bad boy boyfriend,"

I gaped at him. "Excuse me?" I snapped.

He smirked. "You heard me. You couldn't handle it like an adult so you took it to him instead. You couldn't stick up for yourself and you had no guts to tell your Mom because she was too infatuated with me that you feared she wouldn't believe you," he said.

I kept my mouth shut. He was right. Everything he had just said was true. I played with my hands in silence. I felt Mom pulled me behind her, her touch gentle.

"Don't you ever speak to my daughter like that again. You won't ever get the chance to because we're not staying," She snapped.

Dave smirked. "Good luck finding somewhere as nice as this place. I might have to invite the girls I've been sleeping around with to move in," He said brutally honest.

I raised an eyebrow as did Mom. "You what?" She said in disbelief.

"You've got ears. I don't work, I get paid to fuck desperate girls. Any other secrets you want me to reveal?" He asked. I gaped at him. "Thats right. I can say all of this now because you've planned on leaving before you heard my opinion,"

Mom stood tall. I expected her to be upset, crushed but she held it together well. "Your turn to listen to me. I earn our living. I have done it for the past five years I've known you. I earn more and put my blood, sweating and tears into earning for my daughter and Zoey and you.I pay the weekly bills and for our luxuries so this place is mine. I think you'd be the one leaving," she snapped.