Chapter 5

Skylynns POV

Shane pulled over at my place, Moms car absent from the driveway. He picked me up this morning and took me out for a hangover breakfast at Mcdonalds. I prayed Dave was out. Maybe he went for a jog, to the supermarket or a sex shop. I couldn't care less just so long he wasn't here.

Last night I arrived home with Will in the early hours of the morning. He left me to go inside alone but said he would check on me at school.

Shane watched me quietly, his eyes scanning my every move. "Did you want to go grab hangover lunch or something? We could go to the beach," he suggested. I shrugged. "You're looking fragile Sky and I know you haven't been taking care of yourself," he finished.

I frowned. "Mom's turning against me. She said I was disrespectful because I refuse to use Dave's last name! For crying out loud, he controls me," I snapped. "He controls her, he controls our relationship with Dad! I can't stand him and she lets him walk all over her," I let all my emotions out.

Shane frowned, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. "I know its hard for you and there's always my place or your grandparents,"

I laughed. "You always have my back Shane except for last night when you called me Willa and she was right beside you. Sounds to me like someone was a little drunk,"

"By someone do you mean yourself?" He asked teasingly. I glared at him. "I'm kidding. No, i'm not but my doors always open Sky, I mean it," He said.

I glanced back at my house. Dave wouldn't mind if I stayed out a couple more hours, would he? I should face him. Running away only gave him more power.

I shook my head, opening the door. "Thanks for the ride Shane,"

"Love you Sky, text me okay," he called out as I shut the door and headed inside.

I smiled over my shoulder. "Love you too Shane! Go find Willa," I teased, Shane revved the engine in response, heading off down the road.

I opened the front door and shut it behind me, Heading into the living room. Sure enough, Dave was in the kitchen reading his paper. He looked up when he noticed me and smiled.

"Good morning Sky. Where have you been?" He asked.

"I was at a friends place. Shane," I explained, sitting comfortably on the sofa. He shut his paper, taking a sip of his coffee.

He chuckled softly. "Shane's a nice boy. You'd rather be with him than that bad boy who wrecked your car," he said.

I nodded. "Yeah but Shane's like my brother. It would be weird to think of him like that,"

Dave shrugged, throwing the home phone towards me. I caught it, holding the phone in confusion.

"Your grandmother called. Said she wanted to know if you'd go see your father with her," he muttered, sipping his coffee once again.

"Really!" I said enthusiastically. "When?"

"Tonight. She's heading up north around six and your Mom said it'd be good if you went,"

I smiled to myself. "Thanks,"

Dave smiled, looking back at me once before opening his paper again. Not long after Mom arrived home, heading for Dave first. She said her hellos then came and sat with me, her eyes tired.

"I wanted to talk about last night," she said hushed.

I scoffed softly, looking back as Dave ignored us. He knew this was a private conversation. "I didn't want to hurt you Sky, I never want to hurt you," she whispered.