Chapter 18

Skylynn's POV

We sat in the waiting room with Zoey and my heart was pounding. I was nervous and excited for Zoey to meet Dad properly. I tapped my fingers on Wills' thigh, his mouth quirked up into a smile as I did.

"I'm going to get a Skylynn sized bruise on my thigh," He complained.

I rolled my eyes. "You should be honoured," I clapped back. He caught my hand in his and held my fingers at ease. I shook my head in amusement. Zoey played with the toys set out while families waited but I knew she was nervous too.

An officer called for us and I stood immediately. Will stayed in his spot. "You're not coming?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I don't feel it's my place Skylynn. I'll be right here when you come out," He answered honestly.

I nodded at his respect. He could've lied but if he really felt that way I couldn't force him to come in with me. I grabbed Zoey's hand and lead her inside. The guards shut the door behind us and I sat in the same place as last time, across the table from Dad.

He had shaved and looked much younger and brighter. It was a surprise visit, he had no idea I was coming nor did he know I brought Zoey. When he noticed her, his smile grew wider but she went into a state of shyness.

He sat opposite us and Zoey wriggled onto my lap. I ignored the pain her body put on the bruises on my thigh and held her tightly. She watched Dad intensely as if she was trying to comprehend who it was.

"I didn't know you were coming," He said first.

I smiled softly. "I actually planned to bring Zoey this weekend but we got out of town early. I got suspended," I said honestly.

Dad raised an eyebrow. "You got suspended?" He asked surprised.

I laughed to myself. "Yeah. It wasn't supposed to go that far. I have a lot to tell you and it's not all suitable for small ears so I'll let you get to know her first," I said, rubbing circles on Zoey's hands. She had become very quiet.

She had her back against my chest and her legs hanging off mine. She held my hands nervously and watched Dad. She couldn't comprehend that he was sitting in front of her. She knew it was him. She had seen photos but the reality was a little too much for her.

"Hi, Zoey. I'm your Dad," He said quietly. "You know you lived here for a little while when you were a baby," he told her.

She watched intrigued. She looked at Dad and I.

"Sky looks like you," she said softly. I smiled. 

Dad grinned as well. "She does and you do too. Do you like it down in Seattle with Sky and her Mom?" He asked. Zoey nodded frantically which made me smile more. "Is Sky sneaking around with boys now that Dad's not around?" He teased.

She nodded once again and grinned at me. "Sky brought her friend here and he's nice," She blurted out. "He takes us out all the time and he paid for our hotel last night,"

Dad looked at me shocked. I rolled my eyes. "Thats part of what I wanted to talk to you about later on. It can wait," I said playfully. Dad laughed.

For a little longer Dad got to talk to Zoey. Our session was a little longer considering we had two people to fill in a 5 people slot. We had half an hour. Once she was done she gave Dad a hug and I stood with her.

I told him I'd be back and took her out to Will. He looked up immediately. I let Zoey sit beside Will and he watched me looking for any sign of emotion. I could almost feel Dad's glare on my back as he frantically tried to look at my 'friend' out the window of the visitation room.