Chapter 21

Skylynn's POV

I followed Will outside, his body language changing after I chose not to kiss him. It's not that I didnt want to. I needed space. I had walked in on him telling his Mom how much he loved some girl. The girl 'he had told her about plenty of times but he had never mentioned a name'. Whatever that means.

I turned towards him and he came to a stop. "Why'd you kiss me?" I asked suddenly, folding my arms over my chest.

Will looked down at me in disbelief. "Is it a crime to want to kiss you?" He snapped.

I frowned. "No, it's not," I said quietly. I realized my denial of his kiss probably wasn't what he'd expected or wanted. It wasn't what I wanted either. "I can't think about this right now Will. I have so much going on," I said guiltily.

I sat beside Will on the swinging seat outside. We sat in silence."How did your Mom know?" He asked me. "You know, about Dave," he finished, waving his hands around furiously.

I shrugged. "She's seen how aggressive Dave is. I showed her the bruises but she's known. She's afraid of him like the rest of us" I explained.

Will nodded. "Where does she plan on moving?"

I grinned. "To the north pole," I teased. He shook his head in amusement. 

"Well, that's one of Zoey's wishes coming true then?" He made light of my comment. 

I laughed. "She's not moving far. I'm not sure if we'll move right away,"

"Mom's collecting her resources to take to the police. She can't get him help without the authorities being involved," I finished with a sigh. "I cannot wait to be back tomorrow, I have missed that hellhole," I admitted.

Will laughed. "I never thought I'd see the day where you say you miss school. Who's controlling your mind?" He teased.

I shrugged. "The devil?"

He raised an eyebrow. "I wouldn't be surprised,"

-------------------------------------------

It was my first day back at school in three days and I could not be happier. I sat in my art class, scribbling away as the teacher spoke. I didn't care what she said, all I cared about was that I actually had something to do.

Willa sat beside me and raised an eyebrow. "You seem distracted?" She whispered.

I rolled my eyes, my head still ducked down towards the paper. "Hmm," I muttered, continuing my work. I was behind, but that wasn't the reason I cared. I had paper and a pen and I could scribble out any emotions I wanted without them looking like emotions.

For example, I drew a rose. Roses resembled love and I was most certainly nearly there. On the rose petal sat a small saddened girl with her fragile body and her fragile mind. Below the rose was a small boy who held his hand up, a mini rose in his hand.

He wanted to save her and yet she was too far gone. He couldn't get to her. It was how I felt. Will was only trying to help but my mind was in a million different places at once that I no longer noticed his little glares or winks. On the petal above stood an evil man holding the girl's ponytail. He was controlling her like a puppet.

I needed Dave gone and my safety to improve before I could take in the good of the world.

I reached out and grabbed a red coloured pencil and began to shade in the rose with light and dark reds, my hands moving at a hundred miles an hour. I had inspiration and I didn't want to stop. Willa grabbed the pencil with one hand and my hands with the other.