Chapter Fourteen

"Look, I don't get why he can't come to school with us

"Look, I don't get why he can't come to school with us. He needs to experience things even if it's as shi**y as school," Nick grumbles as he walks beside me down the hall.

"That's why you and mum were fighting?" I ask as we stop at my locker. He leans against the locker next to mine and crosses his arms over his chest, sighing deeply. "Look, we both want Brock at school but we need to think of his well being."

He growls under his breath and cracks his fingers, "Brock should get a choice." We both think Brock should get a choice but we know what's best for him in the end, Nick secretly knows too.

"What are you two going on about?" Chad asks as he leans against the other locker next to mine. I roll my eyes and shove his face, he groans in pain and glares at me.

"Go away, Chad. No one actually likes you," I say.

"Hey! I like Chad," Nick is quick to defend him. I roll my eyes, of course he'd say that. I swear they like each other more than friends if you know what I mean.

"Of course you'd say that," I mutter almost quietly. "Can you both get away from my locker and leave me alone? You're kind of bringing unwanted attention over here," I say, shoving them both. As everyone knows, I'm not very keen on the idea of attention. Usually every time attention is drawn to me its because something bad has happened or they know something bad will happen. So this kind of makes me suspicious.

"It's not like we are doing anything bad, Faye," Chad rolls his eyes at my nervousness. Well they aren't good together, whenever they are together they hurt someone and that person is usually me. I'm the constant target.

"The real question is if you're going to do something soon," I emphasise the if. They both roll their eyes, Nick pushes off the locker and makes Chad follow him as they walk away from me; I'm left in one piece, I feel relieved. I jump in shock and fright as Ruby jumps out of no where and grins at me like a child on crack. "Ruby, you scared me," I remove my hand that I had placed on my erratic beating heart.

She giggles, "sorry I'm just so excited to see you again!" She exclaims. I chuckle and slam my locker closed then lock the lock, I wrap my arm around the books and hold them against my chest.

"Ruby, we only saw each other a couple of days ago," I say to her as we walk side by side to my first class.

"I know! But I heard Jake went over to your house and had lunch with you and your family," she casually says making me pause my movements of walking. She stops and looks back at me in confusion, "why'd you stop?"

I shake my head and clear my throat, "Jake told you?" she nods after I ask her and that makes me groan. I don't really want people knowing, it's not as if I actually wanted him to come inside my mother just appeared out of nowhere.

"Don't worry, only me, Max and Tyler know. No one else. BUT more people could find out if Chad and your brother say something," she says. She is so right, they would probably do that and it would be scandalous! Everyone would believe every dirty word that they spill. Maybe that's what they're planning next, I need to be prepared, I need to be one step ahead.