Chapter Thirty Four

"Mum, is this necessary?" I groan following behind her, multiple people wonder through the house with tables and decorations. Some people are over at tables outside, piling champagne glasses on each other elegantly. She proceeds to ignore me and instructs one of the workers to begin working on the pool area and set up games for children.

"Morning, babe," dad appears wrapping his arms around mums waist and kissing her on the lips.

"Dad have you told her that celebrating your anniversary nearly every year is most certainly not necessary," he gives me a look to silence me.

"Faye, it is our 20th anniversary, the number doesn't come around often these days. Have you seen how that chick who flirted with you whilst you had the street racing days, she just goes with every Tom, Dick and Harry and she's married to poor Joe. She has children too, hasnt even lasted at least 10 years," she shakes her head as if she is disappointed that their marriage didn't last.

"Remind me why you care? Joe found someone better, Will," dad laughs. Mum hits him and crosses her arms over her chest.

"She will most likely come for you again. I've watched her, she always has her eyes on you specifically. Watch when I disappear for one moment the leech will appear, she will try touching you and seducing you," dad encloses his arms around mums waist and kisses her cheek, he looks to me and shake my head.

"And you'd think I fall for her witchery?" he questions. "Babe, the reason why we are having another party is because we have been together for 20 years, remember?" He chuckles at her stupidness and shakes his head.

I sigh and walk away, knowing neither of them will detach themselves from each other. I guess 20 years is the big number, it's just that she likes to throw a big party every year to celebrate their marriage. Why doesn't she just do the 20th then goes in tens from there? It is a sweet gesture though, she loves informing people this way that her marriage hasnt failed, yet.

"Hey there sis," Nick appears out of nowhere, slinging his arm over my shoulder and pulling me close. Ty appears on the other side of me and I sigh, wondering what they want.

"What do you want?" I groan, throwing Nicks arms off me.

"Can't we just say hi without you assuming that we want something from you?" Nick pouts to me.

"Never, you always want something from me," they both scoff at me. "Whatever you want, the answer is no so leave me alone."

I quickly make my escape afterwards, dad appears next to me and shoves a black dress into my arms. I outstretch my arms to observe it and sigh, already knowing why he handed me this dress. One word. Mum. "Your mother wants you to wear this dress to the celebration tonight, she told- no, ordered me to give it to you."

"Right. You realise she could have given it to me herself?" I raise my eyebrows, he shrugs at me.

"She thought you'd fight her on it I guess. I don't know women, okay," I laugh and he walks off after he hears mum arguing about the type of flowers she wants outside the back. I don't see how It matters, but it clearly does to mum.

The hours pass, the decor is finally finished setting up and my dad is finally done being mums guinea pig. I sit in my dress in the corner, with the children and watch as everyone mingles with alcohol in their hands. I stare down at my phone, thinking to myself. How would our lives be if none of this shit had happened in the first place? How much happier would I be? I'm surrounded by people I dont know, there's hundreds of people here. I pretend to know them, but I dont. Brock would usually be here to keep my company, but he isn't so I have to sit here and endure thinking about him when he won't be coming back.