Chapter Twenty

Things are okay for a while. There are always phases where everything is so good and nothing can ruin your happy moody because there is that one person in your life that is holding everything together. There's phases. Things are amazing is number one; everything is just perfect like I had just said. Something happens but you get over it and overcome it is phase two. Your life starts going into a slump down where nothing is good, all you see is black and bad things keep happening. Then you are constantly sad, good things happen but not enough to make you really really happy. I am going through the phases. Phase two just happened, except, I don't know if anyone will get over this.

I had just gotten home after a long day of school, the assignments are really starting to pile on and my stress levels have been through the roof. All I wanted was a peaceful afternoon. To sleep, eat and maybe fit a bit of studying in while multitasking by watching a movie that will boost my mood up.

Of course, none of those plans had followed through. About an hour after I got home, Brock started struggling to breath. He was scared, we all were. This sort of stuff hadn't really happened much before, so dad called the ambulance straight away and gave him an inhaler. While it helped for at least 10 minutes, just when the emergency services arrived he couldn't breath again. They took him into the car, mum and dad got in as well. Nick and I just looked at each other after they had left, both thinking the same thing. That Brock didn't have much time left anymore.

I have prayed each night for a miracle to happen, but nothing has happened yet. Brock is still in pain, everyday and there is nothing any of us can do to stop that. If I knew a way to stop his pain then I would try my hardest to help him. But I'm relying on the doctors too much to save him. Now, Nick, mum, dad and I are all sitting in the ER, waiting for someone to come out and tell us how Brock is doing and if he will be okay.

Mum and dad end up speaking privately in the corner, away from our greedy ears. Nick and I just sit in silence, we both have the fear that we will lose our little brother too soon. I try not to show my fear, I try to be brave and strong for Brock but it's just so hard. A man walks out of the room Brock is in, we all immediately rush over to him and attack him with questions.

"Mr and Mrs Lacuna, your son is in critical condition. He's just gotten worse, nothing is working to help Brock. I'm sorry but we are doing the best we can to help him, but I don't know what more we can do for him. It's only a matter of time..." Dad holds his hand up and shakes his head, none of us want to hear the rest of what this doctor has to say.

Dad seems mostly angered, his breathing becoming harsh. He lunges at the doctor and holds him against the wall, "well try harder! This is my son we are talking about. He.... he has to get better."

The amount of pain I hear in his voice hurts me, it makes my heart tighten in pain. His desperation for them to help Brock only increasing by the minute. Nick holds his head in his hands and walks away to cool off. Whereas mum starts crying and pulls dad back to hug him tightly. As for me? I stand still, feeling everything all at once and only wishing that I could switch it all off. Pangs of pain are constantly hitting at my chest and I try to stay calm.

The doctor informs us that we can go in and see Brock then he walks off to grab hi some food. We walk in together, as a family. His frail body comes into my line of sight and it physically hurts to look at him. His cheeks are hollow, his body thinned out and his hair almost gone. He has a tube in his nose to help him to breath, I hold back my tears. He gives us a smile, mum covers her mouth with her hand and starts sobbing; he sighs and looks down at his lap.

"I'm sorry. I'm a f*ck up and I have ruined you guys, I never wanted to hurt you guys and make your lives a living hell," he cries, blaming himself. I shake my head and rush over to him, wrapping my arms around him. He hugs me back and hides his face in my arms, "all I seem to do is hurt everybody."