Chapter Twenty Seven

A knock echoes through my room for the fourth time today. I just dont want to leave, I dont want to talk, I didn't want to do anything. Why can't they understand that? I ignore whoever is knocking on the door again. I've been in my room for the past couple of days, hiding and not wanting to leave. I shove the last lot of popcorn in my mouth and roll my eyes at the movie.So cliche. "He's not gonna stay with you, he's gonna leave gurllll," I snort throwing shit at the tv. 

"Little Lacuna," I hear the one and only Tyrese. It has been months since I've last seen him, but even the sound of his glorious voice cant make me stand up and face him. "Don't make me break your lock," he threatens making me sigh and stand up tp unlock the door.  I don't open it for him, I just jump back onto my bed and lay down. 

"What do you want Tyrese?" He looks around my room and scrunches his nose up, now I know he is definitely judging me. He sits down on my bed and looks down at me, he doesn't say anything for a moment until I heave a massive sigh.

"I came to see how you were doing," he replies.

"I'm fine," I retort back, completely lying to him. He raises his eyebrow and shake his head at me,  obviously not believing a word that is escaping my lips. I try not to look him in the eye I have never been this weak and he has never really seen me this way before. 

"Faye, I know everything that happened and I know you're definitely not fine with anything. And that's okay. It is okay to not be okay, you need to understand that. You can speak about your problems and everything that is going on, you don't need to hide from me, it's me little Lacuna. You've known me your whole life, dont stop blubbering on me now," this makes me smile a little. He has always been there for me and he continues to do so, I couldn't be more grateful than I am.

"I didn't know he would do that, Tyrese. I loved him and he hurt me and everyone who I love. You cant be with someone who does that. He is in a gang, he kills people and what's worse is that dad was in a gang and I didn't even know about it. I feel so hurt, so betrayed. How could Jake do this to me? I thought he loved me. I cant sleep at night anymore. Everything is so difficult and I could never go back to him because then that would be going back to the man that tried to kill my father. I dont know how much longer I can do this all, Ty; its draining me completely. 

Tyrese sighs, he doesn't give me looks of pity which I appreciate."Love has and always will be complicated Faye. No one has ever said that love is easy, cause it isn't. Your father just thought hiding his past life was what was best for all of you. He didn't expect it to come back, biting him in the ass. You dont have to forgive him Faye, we all want to go and murder that piece of sh*t, but there's nothing you can do to change what he did and who he is."

I blink up at the ceiling, feeling completely numb to everything. Tyrese pats my leg lightly and stands up, I dont smile at him, I dont do anything but let him leave silently. Talking will just bring back the pain, it always does. Why do people say talking about things makes you feel better when it just forces you to remember everything that went terribly wrong. I let my eyes close as I fall into a light slumber.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up, hearing the sound of feet in my room. I dont move, feeling afraid of who it could possibly be. My heart thumps incredibly loud, I open my eyes slightly only to see a silhouette of a man. I close my eyes as he nears me, his familiar tousled hands lightly touch my face. It is then that I know who this person is. I try to hold the tears back with extreme difficulty. He lingers then slowly disappears from my body. 

The sound of movement ceases, I peak an eye open only to see the curtain moving with the wind and the man... Jake, gone. 

I'm left to think, why did he come? What did he want? I would have thought that he had run away, never to be seen again after what happened but here is he. Appearing out of thin air whilst I'm sleeping.

Slightly creepy, but expected. 

The next morning I wake up feeling how I have been feeling for this past week. However my mother barges into the room, opening my blinds and windows insisting that I need some vitamin D and fresh air. As a reply, I groan and shove my face into the pillows. "Faye, get up right now! You nee d to stop moping around," she pulls back my doona and lets out a series of coughs. "Jeez, you smell like your brothers sweetie. By the way, that isn't a good thing," I look t her and give her a big death glare. 

"Can you kindly leave me alone?" I ask. Her smile doesn't falter one bit, she sits beside me and places her hand on my shoulder. 

"Sweetie it's okay to be sad, just don't shut us out please. I hate seeing you like this. Come down for breakfast or else I will get your brother up here to bring you down," she threatens. Why doesn't she understand that being alone is what's best for me. Precarious. That's a word to describe me. 

I lay there, benumbed. When I exit this room I know everyone will be cautious around me like I'm mangled. Completely and utterly broken which I am. A few minutes later I decide that it's best if I stand and go downstairs. Nick, Brock and mum are sitting around the table. When they see me, their eyes brighten and they smile. "Hey Faye!" Brock chirps. "Hungry?" I nod and take a seat, they watch me in a circumspect manner making me inwardly wince. 

"So the boys are coming over tonight remember mum?" Nick attempts to make things less awkward. I however feel disinterested in their conversation and sit in silence, eating my pancakes slowly. 

"Yes I remember, but dont forget that your dad is currently laying in bed feeing very sore. So don't be too loud because he is resting." They could just camp out the back in our massive backyard. Comes to about 15 acres I'm pretty sure. That way they won't be a bother to me either. "What will you be doing tonight, Faye?" mum asks.

Shrugging, I push my plate forward and sigh. "Maybe Brocky and I will hang," Brock gives me the brightest smile possible and nods in agreement. We are greeted with the sounds of loud chatter as Titus, Emberly, Mike and Nova enter. I wonder what they are doing here. 

"Ah you're here!" Mum exclaims in excitement, giving each of them a hug. "Kids, us adults will be catching up. If you need us, just holler." With that, they all leave the kitchen. We are left in complete silence making me sigh. 

"Looks like my friends will be coming now," Nick grumbles and stands up. I ruffle Brock's hair and he follows me to the living room. The thing is, I know that Brock is in pain but he hides it constantly and I don't know how he does that. I feel incredibly selfish, here I am, cooped up in my room over some boy whilst my brother is suffering from cancer and it could be his last weeks. He is so vigorous. I randomly hug him, he doesn't give me a confused stare he just hugs me back with equal vigour. 

"Wanna watch a movie?" I ask to which he nods his head, I let him pick the movie. The title 'Bird Box' shows and I grin, I haven't seen this one hopefully its good. 

Whilst watching the movie I notice how distressed and uneasy Brock appears, he keeps scratching his skin, moving every two minutes and looks down at himself. His breathing is laboured and I know something isn't right, this makes me panic. I stare, he looks up at me; seeming like he's two seconds away from breaking into tears. "It hurts Faye, it hurts!" He wails, breaking my heart. 

I rush to him whilst screaming for help, he vomits on the floor and struggles breathing. Everyone comes out in a mad panic, mum gasps seeing Brock. "Someone call the ambulance!" She shrieks and comes to her sons side. "Brocky, tell me how you're feeling, what's wrong?" He vomits again, his eyes non stop watering.

"It hurts, it hurts everywhere. Please, make it stop!" 

That night was filled with horror and absolute terror. Even though dad was in an extreme amount of pain from being shot, he rushed out too to help his son. 

That night, Brock Lacuna died. 

--

I know my updates have been slow and I am sorry about that. But Brock died :( How do you feel about this?

Make sure to check out my other books while you're waiting for updates!! Thank you for the constant support, love you all

comment, vote and share