Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen "I hope this isn't all a lie

Chapter Sixteen "I hope this isn't all a lie."

I've learned not to trust easily as every time I do trust someone they let me down. Every single time I feel so disappointed and hurt; mostly angry with myself that I believed every single lie. Be careful who you trust. That's what I'm doing.

None of this seems possible. An attractive popular guy cannot like me, it's basic science. I'd like to think different but trust me when I say this sort of situation has happened before. Luckily I wasn't in love with the guy, he just deeply embarrassed me in front of the whole school when he informed everyone that it was a bet. Apparently he was trying to get my virginity which didn't work, his breath always stunk like rotten tuna and he was impolite. Neither is a turn on.

"Rumour has it Jakey boy likes you," Nick says, dropping onto my bed. I give him a look and roll my eyes, "you don't believe it?"

"Well do you?" I fire back. We both know that nothing like that could happen to me. It's completely amusing thinking about it.

"I'm not sure. I mean, some guys aren't bad you know? You've just dealt with a lot of bad ones," he grimaces. I slap him lightly and roll my eyes, this is so unfair. Why couldn't Nick be the nerd in the family and I could be the cool kid. It all seems so much easier for them. They have acceptance which is all anyone really ever wants.

"You could say that," I say quietly. "Where's Brock? I wanna see him," I smile.

"Right here," he says as he walks into the room. I open my arms for a hug, he jumps on me and I groan.

"Okay you're not that small darl," I laugh. He chuckles and lays down on my bed right next to Nick. They seem to be getting comfortable.

"What's this boy stuff I'm hearing about?" He questions. I give Nick an 'are you kidding me?' Look which makes him hold his hands up. How else would have my brother found out? He doesn't go to school, he's always home. He doesn't see anyone. The only culprit to this is Nick.

"C'mon, the dude deserves to know. He doesn't go out, he never gets any good gossip so I decided to give him some," I smack Nick upside the head, trying to knock some sense into that dumb brain of his.

"You realise if dad finds out he'll go all protective and stuff? Then if Mum finds out she'll brag about it to all her friends and will be so excited then start telling us the stories of her and dad. Which all of us have heard more than 100 times or at least witnessed," Brock and Nick both grimace after I say this. They're obviously now considering all the repercussions. Either way, we don't win.

"Well we won't say anything. It'll be our little secret, just the three of us. Oh and Chad," Nick shrugs. Brock and I both look at him as if he's dumb, which he is. Chad doesn't deserve to know a thing about me. Not after how's he has treated me all these years.

"Not Chad. Can you just keep something to yourself for once and not have to tell Chad? I'm trusting you. I don't trust him, he's tortured me for years. I don't think he deserves to know anything," I honestly say, feeling extremely annoyed.

He goes to protest but Brock cuts him off, "no Nick. Shut up. Keep something to yourself once, you don't need to tell Chad everything as if he's your boyfriend. Just keep your f**king mouth shut for our sister." We are both shocked by Brock's harshness and language. I'm gobsmacked actually.

"Okay okay, I won't."

"I'm trusting you Nick," I warn. Both of us completely dismissed the anger and passion in Brock's voice, but we will do anything for him. My phone rings and Nick snatches it before I can reach for it, he looks between Brock and I.

"It's him. It's Jakey boy," that really ruined the effect when he said Jakey boy.

"Well give me my phone," I reach my hand out, he smirks and decides to answer it for me. I'm sure my face is red from anger by now. This is why I hate having brothers. No privacy, they never leave you alone and they're soooo annoying. They only care when they want to.

"Helloooo," Nick sings. Brock face plams himself and shakes his head, this is not going to go down well. "Yes, she's here. She's sitting right next to me actually," I try to grab my phone off of him but he always turns the other way so I can't reach for it.

"Nick. Give me my phone," I demand angrily.

"Let me give you a warning buddy. If this is all some sick game to you, you will be sorry. Do you actually like her or is it some sick joke? None of us will be laughing. So tell me right now, don't lie to me; is it real or not?" He makes sure to put the phone on loudspeaker while speaking his little speech. Well medium length threatening speech. I eagerly wait for a response, my heart is beating so fast.

"It's real. I promise," he reassures all of us. I let loose a breath I didn't know I was holding, Nick does too and smiles.

"Okay, you can talk to Faye now!" He chirps and shoves the phone into my hand. "C'mon Brock, wanna watch me play Fortnite?" What is it with the boys of our generation playing fortnite all the time? I hear them up to the crack of dawn playing it, screaming at the tv and cheering.

"I love that game," I hear Jake say. I roll my eyes and laugh, I roll onto my stomach and take the phone of loud speaker. I press the phone to my ear and wait awkwardly, this is going to be the most embarrassing encounter ever. I will not know what to say at all. Correction. I don't know what to say at all. "Hey," he finally breaks the awkward silence, does he feel it too?

"Hey," I respond shyly.

"So, What are you up to?" His voice is deep and husky. It makes me tingly, my body shivers slightly and I swallow. This isn't normal for me. This feels more like a dream, when will I wake up and be disappointed again? We speak for hours and hours. I'm laughing and smiling, he's laughing too and I know he's smiling. We both don't want to stop talking. I eventually fall asleep on the call. All I can think about is the fact that what if this isn't real? What if he's playing some kind of game and I'm the toy? What if this is all some kind of plot against me. Gods probably thinking 'it's not your time to be happy yet.' Well when is my time? When do I finally get to wake up and not freak about what's going to happen? When do I finally get to feel the love I deserve? Party with friends, I want at least 5 friends. Just a small group. I don't need hundreds, I just want a few. Real ones.

I really hope all of this isn't a lie.
                                          ##
Comment, vote and share
Keely