An alpha

"Stiles, do you really think this is a good idea?" Malia whispered pulling Stiles away from the others who were currently talking to Gage.

"I know it seems crazy, but I trust him." Stiles shrugged glancing back at the Derek look alike.

"Do you trust him because he looks exactly like Derek, or do you actually trust him?" Malia crossed her arms.

"This has nothing to do with Derek, I told you." Stiles huffed.

"Stiles, he's Derek's identical twin brother, who just decided to show up out of nowhere wanting to be the alpha of the pack." Malia glared past Stiles at Gage who was smiling at something Isaac had said.

"Malia, I know you didn't like Derek, but this isn't Derek. This is Gage. So far he's nothing like Derek. They may look identical, but he is what I always imagined Derek would have been like if the Hale fire hadn't happened." Stiles tried to get Malia to give Gage a chance, other than himself, she was the least trusting of the pack.

"Just because he smiles you're ready to let him lead the pack?" Malia snapped.

"Lia, that's not what this is. I had my dad do a full background check on him, and he's staying with me so I can keep an eye on him." Stiles sighed putting a comforting hand on Malia's shoulder.

"He's staying with you?" Malia snarled pulling from Stiles' touch.

Stiles let out a heavy sigh.
"In our spare room, just until he finds a place to stay. And look, I'm not letting him be alpha just yet. He has to earn that."

Malia didn't seem pleased but she dropped it, much to Stiles' surprise.

Stiles watched as she grabbed her bag and walked out if the room.
Since their break up, things had been complicated between them. Malia had been the one to break it off and yet she seemed bitter about the breakup. She had claimed that it wasn't anything he'd done, that she thought they were better as friends. Stiles had been hurt, but he did his best to stay friendly with her despite his disappointment. That had been just two weeks before Derek took off. That had been a rough month for Stiles. But now the pack was finally settled after the upheaval Derek's disappearance had caused. They let Stiles call the shots. They treated him like he was their alpha, despite him asking them not to. They protected him as if he was, and yet maybe even more so since he was human.

It had been a surprise when the pack had called a meeting telling Stiles they wanted him to take the lead.

"So what's with the sudden meeting? I was just getting to the best part of the new movie I just got, 'American Assassin'." Stiles huffed as he leaned back on his couch, a movie paused on his tv.

"Really?" Lydia sneered at the screen.

"Hey, the lead guy is a great actor, and it's suspenseful. Can we get to the point?" Stiles huffed defensively.

"We've been talking..." Allison started.

"Things have been out of sorts since..." Lydia trailed off, giving Stiles a sympathetic look.

"Since that asshole ditched us." Malia finished angrily, earning an elbow from Isaac.

"We need an alpha." Scott added.

"No, I don't care that he was one before, he almost killed three of us. I refuse to let Peter run this pack." Stiles snapped, standing up. They'd already discussed this.