Chapter Seven: The Interrogation

An hour later, we were ready to go. Paisley wasn’t kidding when she claimed to be a magician. I had never looked this good in my entire life. Briar had curled every piece of blonde hair to perfection, and Paisley did an outstanding job with my makeup. She put a light layer of eyeliner over gold eye shadow and put just enough mascara on so my hazel eyes popped. As for clothing, I didn’t want to wear anything too extravagant, despite Paisley’s pleas, and was wearing a pair of skinny jeans, boots, and a black low cut tank top.

            Briar looked a little nicer than me. Her hair had been straightened which made her look even older and more mature. She was wearing a pair of dark jeggings and a black minimalist high neck top. She wore a long, silver owl necklace and was wearing brown eye shadow with a bit more eyeliner and mascara, and boots with a heel.

            Paisley was the dressiest out of the three of us. Her hair was also curled. She was wearing a blue pleated and flowery high-waisted skirt with a plain white t-shirt. Her brown eyes were accompanied by a copper shadow and thicker and longer lashes if at all possible. She wore a casual pair of brown cowgirl boots.

            I felt like we looked way too overdressed for dinner and that we would stick out like sore thumbs. Apparently, I was somewhat wrong. Everyone was dressed in just about the same clothing as we were either jeans with a nice top or a casual skirt or dress. There was a table reserved for the employees, and I sat in between Briar and Paisley. The other twelve employees seemed very friendly. There were six girls in total and six guys. I  guess Pat and Cindy like things to be uniform. I quickly learned everyone else’s name and age, though a few of the kids I knew from town and school.

“So, you’re the one who got assigned to cabin eleven?” A girl seated directly across from me asked. I nodded and she smirked. “Well aren’t you the luckiest girl alive.” She said smoothly.

 “They’re just ordinary guys.” I responded. “By the way, I’m Iris.”

    “Heather. Pleasure.” She purred. Heather looked to be a few years older than Paisley, Briar, and me. She had straight, layered, chocolate brown hair and matching dark eyes. She wore heavy eyeliner and from what I could tell, was extremely tall.

                “How old are you, Heather?” Paisley asked.

  “Twenty two. And I’m assuming you three are eighteen.” She answered for Paisley, Briar and me. Briar narrowed her eyes and Paisley’s grip around her glass tensed. Heather was not fazed by their distaste in her personality and turned back to the boy she was talking to.

    “Well she was annoying.” Briar mumbled. Heather’s eyes flicked back to us and she watched us for a moment before turning back to the boy.

    “So, what are the boys like?” One of the boys, Jackson, I think asked me. He was a year older than me and recently just graduated from high school. I had hung out with him in the past at various parties when I was into that scene and we had almost hooked up once if I remember correctly. I couldn’t be too sure though because the details from a lot of those parties were very fuzzy.