Chapter Fourteen: Picnics and Kisses

After a few minutes of being carried in silence by an angry and concerned Flynn, we reached his cabin. He swung open the door and carried me through the house and around to the backyard. “Close your eyes.” Flynn instructed as I was trying to crane my neck to see what he had planned. I begrudgingly did as he said and he gently placed me on my feet, two hands balancing me. “Are you good to stand on your own?”

“I think so.”

“Okay, then open your eyes…” Flynn stepped aside and I almost kissed him. Almost. There, in front of me was the most adorable picnic setup ever. Flynn had put out a red and white checkered blanket with an old looking wicker basket.

“How did you find all of these things?” I wondered, wandering over and sitting on the blanket. Flynn joined me and we were sitting so close to each other, we were touching. It was probably a passing gesture to him, but to me, I felt sparks every time his body made contact with mine. So, I probably looked like a giddy little five year old girl.

Flynn's mouth curved into that signature smirk and it took everything I had to not kiss him then and there. I needed to calm down. This wasn't even a date. Or he never really said it was, so I wasn't going to get my hopes up only to be disappointed. "If I told you that, it would ruin all the magic." He turned to the picnic basket and opened it up, revealing sandwiches, Lemonades, and some sort of dessert. My stomach growled and Flynn gave me a concerned look. "You didn't eat?"

"No." I answered nervously.

He narrowed his eyes and faced me head on. "And why is that?"

"My mind was somewhere else..." I replied vaguely. Thank God my blonde hair fell over my face and hid me from his penetrating gaze.

"And what were you thinking of?" Flynn pushed.

You. "N-nothing." From the corner of my eye I could see Flynn's eyes narrow and his jaw clench. We were silent for a moment.

"We're you thinking about Jackson?"

"Not at all." I replied smoothly. Underneath the cool exterior, I was having a mental panic attack. Why was he asking me so much?? Before he could question me any further, I decided to change the subject and ask him something.

"So what exactly is it that you wanted to cash in on?" Flynn silently handed me a ham and cheese sandwich and took a few bites of his. The silence was killing me. "I know you heard me." Flynn sighed and lied down on the blanket. I remained seated, staring down at him. But he wasn't looking at me; instead, he was looking at the stars.

"I wanted to do something nice with just you and I. But I didn't know how else to ask you....so I decided to use my first of three favor things." He explained. I breathed a sigh of relief. He wasn't asking me about my family. But that relaxation was quickly replaced with the stress from what he just implied. Were we on a date??

"Oh...okay." I said, laying down next to him.

"So..." Flynn began awkwardly. "I didn't expect it to be like this." If I wasn't stressed out before, that statement right there did it. Had I done something wrong?

"Well, how had you envisioned this going?" His gaze swept over me and he smiled, shaking his head.