Chapter Eight: Stargazing and Unanswered Questions

I slowed down my march to their table when I was what exactly was happening. The boys were having some sort of heated conversation. I was too far out of earshot to hear what exactly was going on, but Flynn did not seem too happy. All of the sudden, their heads whipped around and all five pairs of eyes were staring at me. I shuffled over to their table slowly, but no one said anything, they just continued to watch me.

            “So…how was your dinner?” I asked once I finally reached them.

            “Really, really, really good.” Mason answered, leaning back in his chair.

            “That’s good.” I had no idea what else to day. They were all still staring at me curiously.

            “So, where did everyone go?” Landon asked, lifting an eyebrow.

            “Well, some guests probably went back to their cabins and went to sleep. The others are probably outside their cabins at their individual bonfires roasting marshmallows.” Caleb sprung up from his seat and I jumped back.

            “You never mentioned anything about marshmallows!” He exclaimed.

            “Well, we just ate, I figured you weren’t hungry.” All five boys burst into laughter.

            “We’re teenage guys. We’re always hungry.” Damon explained, standing from his seat and brushing past me. Caleb quickly followed him along with Mason and Landon.

            Flynn was the only who remained in his seat. The other guys had broken out into a run and were shouting behind at us that we needed to hurry up so we could start the fire and that we wouldn’t get any marshmallows if we waited around. I didn’t mind missing out on the marshmallows and with one look at a glowering Flynn I knew he didn’t mind, either.

            His jaw was clenched and his hands were balled up into fists. He wouldn’t look at me and instead kept his eyes locked on the wooden table. I looked at the wooden table to see if there was anything wrong with it, but it appeared to be a normal table. I opened my mouth to say something, but instead decided to pull out the chair next to him and take a seat. His eyes flicked to me before returning back to the table. I pulled my legs up on the chair and wrapped my arms around my knees.

            “You wanna talk about what’s wrong?” I asked gently. For the second time, he looked at me for about a millisecond before returning his gaze back to the table. I sighed. “Sitting here and pouting isn’t going to make whatever’s bothering you go away.”

            “Who said I was pouting.” Flynn snapped back.

            “You can talk to me about it if you want. I don’t really have any friends so it’s not like I have anyone to tell. I mean I have family, but my dad is never around and my sister is…” I have this really bad habit when I’m around people in awkward situations, I tend to talk. A lot. “Well my sister is my sister. And you know how sisters can be. Well I don’t know if you know how sisters can be. Do you have a sister? You don’t seem like the type who has a sister. Then again, is there a ‘have a sister’ type? Sometimes I think that—,”