Chapter Forty Seven: Late

I do not remember being woken up by Flynn at 7:00 in the morning. I do not remember rolling over in bed and insisting on sleeping in. I do not remember Flynn insisting that I come with him to the airport. I do not remembering falling back asleep before giving him an answer.

I do not remember letting Flynn leave without me.

But when I wake from my slumber, he’s already gone.

I rush down the stairs, hoping he was eating breakfast, walking out the door, getting into his car, still on the premises. But he wasn’t. I ran back into the cabin and checked all the rooms. They were empty, no suitcases, no people; the beds were neatly made. It looked like no one had even touched the place. I ran back outside and toward the old cabin. Maybe Briar and Paisley were still here, running late, but going in their own, separate car.

But they were gone, too.

I raced into the old cabin and grabbed Flynn’s birthday present, the one I had gotten him in secret. I then pulled on a pair of sweatpants and ran out the door.  I had to catch up to them. I had to say goodbye.

I cursed at myself mentally for not being a morning person and for selfishly falling back asleep. So what if it was 7:00 in the morning? Flynn would’ve gotten up for me. And I couldn’t even do that for him. I hoped and prayed that he wasn’t too upset with me as I sped out of the ranch parking lot and toward town. I called Flynn, but it went straight to his voicemail. Next was Damon.

“Good morning, princess. Did you sleep well?” Damon drew out, taunting me.

“Fuck you, Damon.” He clicked his tongue on the roof of his mouth.

“So my guess is you’re not much of a morning person.” He chuckled.

“Just…let me talk to Flynn please?” I asked through clenched teeth.

“One moment, princess.”

“Hello?” Flynn asked.

“Flynn!” I shouted.

“Good morning, babe.” He said smoothly.

“You should’ve forced me to come with you!” I cried over the phone.

“It’s no big deal.” Flynn assured me.

“No big deal?” I repeated incredulously. “Flynn, we aren’t going to see each other for a while! I wanted to give you the proper goodbye.”

“Well, if you wanted to give me the proper goodbye, you should’ve said so last night, babe.” I could hear the smirk in his voice and I groaned.

“Flynn!” I cried. “I never got to give you your present.” I said softly. There was silence on the other end.

“Y-you got me something?” He asked quietly.