Chapter Forty Three: In Which They Make a Meal

I woke up late the next morning and stretched. I felt my familiar warm bed underneath me and jumped in surprise when I saw Flynn lightly snoring next to me. I looked down and saw that I had changed from my clothes from dinner into a pair of pajamas and my eyes narrowed at a certain devilish boy band singer who was sleeping right next to me. I nudged him gently and he rolled over, grabbing me and pulling me down on top of him in the process.

I landed on him ungracefully with an oof, promptly waking Flynn. He gave me a lazy smile and crept closer to me, his forehead pressing against mine. “How did I get dressed in this, Flynn?” He laughed a low laugh coming from his chest and it shook me. I narrowed my eyes at him. “This is not funny!”

“You’re just really cute when you’re mad.” He said softly, brushing away a piece of stray hair. “You said your jeans were making you uncomfortable.” I lifted an eyebrow in disbelief. “You also said some other crazy things while you were exhausted. I’ll have to keep you up later.” He joked ,winking at me. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself. “You were so tired you weren’t really able to get the jeans off. So, I helped you out and got you in your pajamas.” He shrugged. Flynn saw my discomfort and smiled a wicked smile. “I think someone’s jealous that the other got to undress and redress the other.”

My cheeks heated imagining that scene. Flynn’s smirk only grew wider.

“T-that’s not true at all.” I stammered. “Or at least, some of it isn’t true.” Flynn’s eyes gleamed.

“Trust me, babe, if I wasn’t such a gentleman, I wouldn’t have redressed you at all.” I gaped and he stretched, showing off his toned muscles. Flynn cleared his throat. “Earth to Iris?” I apologized, flustered and looked into his eyes and saw his mouth curve up into the smallest of smiles. He obviously knew I checked him out. And he obviously liked it. “You want to make some breakfast?” I groaned and fell back onto my bed next to him.

“I guess so.” I scooted closer to his side. “But I’d rather stay here with you all day.” A flash of something unrecognizable crossed his face, but he quickly covered it up, hardening his gaze instead.

“Babe, I think you know what I’d want to do if we were here all day.” I blushed and his mouth curved into a half smile. He sat up and stretched. “Which is precisely why we’re going to go upstairs and make breakfast.” He stood from the bed and walked to the door.

“W-we’re?” I repeated. Flynn raised his eyebrows.

“Didn’t we agree that I was going to teach you how to cook?” He challenged.

“Well, I thought we’d do that later…” He shook his head.

“No better time than now.” With that, he left my bedroom before I could even protest.

“So, what are we going to make?” I asked hesitantly, eyeing the utensils. Flynn closed the refrigerator door and put the last of the needed ingredients on the table. I couldn’t tell what he had in mind. The kitchen counter was covered with strawberries, eggs, English muffins, yogurt and honey.

“It’s a recipe my mom makes. She calls it her strawberry shortcake French toast.” He announced, cracking his knuckles. “Okay, go ahead and zest that lemon.” Flynn instructed, pointing to the lemon. I picked it up and looked at it unsurely. Flynn groaned. “Please tell me you know how to zest a lemon.” When I didn’t respond, he groaned again.