Chapter Eighteen: The Disappearance of Paisley Baxter

After Damon left, the room fell silent. Paisley was still sitting in the chair, looking mortified. Mason and Landon ran up to her side, attempting to snap her out of her shock.

"It's okay, Paisley. Damon pulls these kinds of stunts all the time." Landon said soothingly.

"I-I can't believe I did that." She whispered.

"He's like that with girls. Don't worry, he'll come around." Mason assured. Paisley shook her head.

"He didn't even look at me after. He just did it to win that stupid game. I should've known better." Her hands started shaking and I saw her eyes get glassy. She bit her lip, forcing herself not to cry.

"Do you want to go roast some marshmallows?" Landon suggested, rubbing her back. She nodded silently and Landon ushered her outside. I noticed him subtly intertwine his fingers with hers and I gaped. Oh my gosh. Landon liked Paisley. That explained why he was laughing so hard during Paisley's performances during the game, the way his eyes lit up when she smiled, it all made perfect sense.

The others followed Landon and Paisley outside, and I remained glued to my spot, glaring upstairs at Damon's room. I decided to go upstairs and give Damon a piece of my mind. Paisley would never do it, and he deserved a mouthful after the stunt he pulled.

I didn't even bother to knock. I just charged into the room, startling a relaxed Damon. He was lounging on his bed, listening to music. He took out a headphone and eyed me carefully. "Can I help you, princess?"

"Paisley doesn't owe you anything." I said evenly. Damon rolled his eyes.

"Part of the game, princess. She didn't object at the time."

"Well I'm objecting now. After the stunt you pulled on her, she doesn't owe you anything." I snapped.

"That's her choice, not yours, princess." Damon said smoothly.

"Can't you see how much of a jerk you're being?!" I cried, throwing my hands in the air. "You really hurt Paisley's feelings. The least you could've done was pretend to care. A little."

"I do care." Damon said plainly.

"You only cared about winning that stupid game." This was all my fault. Paisley was out there crying because of me. I was such an awful friend.

"That's where you're wrong, princess."

"Oh yeah?" I challenged. "If you cared, you wouldn't be up here avoiding her."

"I'm not avoiding her." I was ready to throw something at him.

"Then what is this?!" I demanded, exasperated.

"Maybe I need some time to think." Damon hissed, removing the other headphone. He leaned forward, daring me to challenge him. Under any normal circumstance, I would feel afraid. Damon was a huge, intimidating guy. But at this very moment, I was so angry, all rationality had left me. "I'm not as eager to get into serious relationships. I prefer the classic 'hump and dump.' No one gets hurt that way." For a moment, I saw his cocky exterior crack. For a moment. "I-I don't want to hurt her." His voice lowered to barely a whisper.

"Well you're hurting her by doing this." Damon opened his mouth to probably say something smart, but closed it. Feeling exhausted from the conversation, I headed toward the door. "And by the way, you're pushing her right into Landon's eager arms. So just think about that." As I closed the door, I saw his face darken. I wanted to open up the door and say something more positive, but there was nothing I could say.

I bounded down the stairs and saw everyone sitting around the living room, silent. "What's going on?" I asked once reaching the bottom. Briar was nowhere to be seen. The boys all gave me 'shhh-ing' noises and I realized why.

Paisley was sleeping. But she was resting in Landon's arms. They were both lying on the floor, her head on his chest, and his arms protectively wrapped around her. There were some makeup stains on his white shirt, but he didn't seem to mind. His noise was buried in her hair and he looked content.

Mason brought back a blanket and covered the two of them. "Is she okay?" I whispered.

"Well she could be better." Flynn replied, coming from behind and wrapping his hands around my waist. "You know I wish you had picked me." He whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. I giggled from the shivers and Flynn let me go.

"Where's Briar?" I asked, are sighting my shirt out.

"She went back to the cabin. Said she was tired." Caleb replied. I yawned in response and the guys laughed.

"And I guess the same goes for you." Mason chuckled. "Flynn, go take that girl home." Flynn happily obliged and took my hand in his, leading me out the door.

"Night guys. I'll see you tomorrow!" I called over my shoulder. Once the door was closed, Flynn pulled me closer to him.