Chapter Forty Two: The Dinner Round Two

As all of us drove in the car less than twenty four hours later, I prayed that this dinner would end differently than the last. Flynn seemed to replicate my pained expression and I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. I would not let tonight end like the last time. No matter, what he did, I would talk things out with him. I’d give him a chance.

Because last time, not talking to him for three days was torture. And I knew that it pained him, too. I wouldn’t be the one responsible for putting either of us through that. I was not someone who participated in petty passive aggressive crap.

I pulled into my spot in the drive way and everyone climbed out of the car. “So you’re sure you aren’t cooking?” Briar asked hesitantly, eying my house. I nodded and she seemed to relax.

“Hey, I don’t think my cooking is that bad.” I responded. The boys burst into laughter.

“That’s because you burnt all your taste buds!” Mason wheezed. I glared at him as I pulled open the front door. Opal heard all of us walking in and she skidded  around the corner in a pair of fuzzy pink socks.

“Iris!” She yelped, crashing into Landon. He lifted her up into the air and gave her a tight hug and she giggled. “Hey Landon.” He put her down and she greeted the rest of the boys warmly. “Who are these two?” Opal asked, looking over Briar and Paisley.

“There are my roommates, Paisley and Briar.” I introduced them and Opal tentatively shook their outstretched hands. Paisley pulled her in for a hug and Opal grinned.

“I like all your friends, Iris.” I gave her a small smile.

“Well gee, thanks.” I looked around the house as we walked further inside for my dad. “Where’s dad, Opal?”

“He’s picking up Chinese!” Opal announced. “Is that okay with all of you?” She asked the group.

“How did you know I loved Chinese, kitten?” Damon asked, taking a seat on the couch. Everyone seemed to follow suit and we were all relaxing on the couch in minutes.

“Not like it’s all over the magazines, smart one.” Paisley joked, smacking his arm.

“You know, come to think of it, that’s pretty creepy that everyone across the world knows your favorite colors, foods and stuff.” Briar noted.

“I guess it is.” Caleb replied, kissing the top of her forehead. The front door opened and my dad came in, carrying a bag full of Chinese.

“There’s another bag in the car, Iris, can you get it?” He asked from the kitchen. Mason got up before I could and ran outside, getting the bag for me. He trotted back in, bag in hand and placed it on the kitchen table with the other bag. Flynn and Landon were busy in the kitchen, helping my dad gather plates and silverware.

“You live in such a nice house!” Paisley whispered, suddenly scooting to my side. I blushed and thanked her.

“Yeah! We should have another movie marathon tonight after dinner. I mean if that’s okay!” Briar suggested. I nodded, liking the idea.