Chapter Twenty Three: Saving the Last Minute Disaster Date

“What do we need to talk about?” I asked nervously. I played with the bottom of my shirt, nervous. I was alone with a guy in the woods last night and it did not end well for me. I didn’t expect Damon to try something, but I didn’t know him well enough to discern if he would or wouldn’t.

“I think you should know that I know something.” He said quietly, slowing his pace down just a bit.

“What do you know?” I had no idea what he was getting at, but I was utterly confused. Damon was being cryptic and hard to read. I had never seen this part of him, and it was a bit unnerving.

“I know you slept over last night.” He said. I shrugged. I knew he knew I slept over. He saw me this morning in Flynn’s shirt.

“I know. You saw me.” I pointed out. Damon shook his head.

“But I know why you slept over.” He explained. I stopped walking. He couldn’t know. I didn’t tell him. That left Flynn. I didn’t think he would tell anyone. That was a personal event. If anyone was going to find out about it, it would’ve been through me. It should’ve been through me. Anger boiled inside me and Damon turned around, noticing my anger. “Before you go freaking out on Flynn I need to explain.”

“And what do you need to explain.” I growled through clenched teeth.

“It wasn’t Flynn’s fault for telling me. It was mine.” Damon said quietly.

“What?”

“Flynn came down this morning not wearing much with messy hair and a big grin.” Damon began. “He normally isn’t so happy in the mornings. And then you came downstairs in his shirt.” He cleared his throat. “So I assumed some stuff had gone down.”

“What stuff?” I asked. Damon gave me a knowing glance and I blushed furiously.

“And I was riding Flynn’s ass about it.” Damon chuckled, running a hand through his brown hair. “When Flynn sent you to go get dressed, he chewed me out. He told me he didn’t sleep with you.”

“Well I didn’t.” I snapped.

“I know that now.” Damon frowned. “And then he told me that someone tried to sleep with you. And he just told me. But it wasn’t his fault honestly. It was all mine.” I sighed. “So, please don’t hate him for telling me. I just thought you needed to know that I knew.”

“Thank you for telling me.”

“Are you mad at me? Or him?” Damon asked carefully. I shook my head. Damon walked to my side and placed his arms around me, wrapping me in a bear hug. He rubbed his hands on my back, telling me he was sorry. “I’m sorry I didn’t force you not to go.”

“It’s okay. It was my fault for being a stubborn bitch.” Damon let go of me and smiled weakly.

“You’re a strong girl, Iris.”

“Thank you.” I said as we began walking out of the woods.