Chapter Twenty One: Midnight Secrets

Flynn POV

After Iris stormed away from the pool, I cursed. I knew she was right. I expected just as much from her as Jackson. I wanted her, probably even more than he did. But I had never done a serious relationship before. The boys had always told me to go with re classic 'hump and dump.' It was easier that way.

No one got hurt that way.

It was as Damon had once explained to me. I was an attractive guy. I had money, talent, and I wasn't lacking anywhere. Girls would naturally fling themselves at me, famous or not. I had urges, they had urges. No one got emotionally attached. It was strictly physical. And just one night. Why settle down with just one girl? Why limit myself when there was a world full of willing girls? I just didn't want to.

Until I first saw Iris, sleeping on that hospital bed. Everything changed after that. My old philosophies, my view on girls, everything changed the moment I lay eyes on her sleeping figure. And the moment she opened her hazel eyes and I saw her for who she really was, I knew I had to have her. I wanted her, no, I craved her in every sense. Her touch was electrifying, her laughter contagious, and her smile heart melting.

And I had screwed it all up.

She was right, if I really did care about her, I should've been serious from the get go. I should've asked her to date me before I even kissed her. And now I was paying the price for it.

Everything became dull and boring now that she had left. They boys were calling for me to come back in the pool, but I wasn't in the mood anymore. I silently collected my things and sulked back to the cabin.

I spent the rest of the day thinking. I thought about Iris, me, our relationship, and everything that could go wrong. And then I thought about everything that could go right.

I was going to make it up to her. I was going to take her out to town, I didn't care who saw me with her, and I was going to ask her then and there to be official with me. My old self would've laughed at the efforts I was willing to put forth for this girl. But I knew that I wanted to be with her and only her. No one else mattered.

I wanted to tell her at dinner. I wanted to stop her from going to the movies with that Jackson guy and his buddies. But I knew that it would only cause more trouble. Iris was a stubborn girl. If she said she was going to the movies tonight, she was going. No amount of persuasion would work. Not even the date I had planned for us. Especially not after this afternoon.

So I stayed in my room with the door and sulked all afternoon. The boys didn't bother to talk to me. They knew it would be pointless. Dinner rolled around and Landon asked if I wanted to go with them, but I told them I wasn't hungry. Which was a total lie.

In all honesty, I just didn't want to see her with them. I didn't want to see them whisk her away after dinner. I didn't want to see her following them into a dark movie theater, giggling the whole way.

I didn't want to see her fall for someone else.

So I ignored my grumbling stomach and played music through my speakers.

A few hours later, Mason knocked on the door. "Hey, do you want to roast marshmallows with the girls and us?" I perked my head up.

"Girls?" Maybe she didn't go. Maybe she canceled.

"Not Iris. She's...uh....she's at the movies still." Mason said quietly. I fell back onto the bed. No need to waste my time.

"I'm good. Have fun." I heard retreating footsteps and cursed. Of course she went with them. She was a stubborn girl.

But I loved her for it.

About an hour had passed since Mason came to my door. I had gone through Fall Out Boy's "Take This To Your Grave," album at least five times. And I was really hungry. But I didn't want to go downstairs and risk running into someone. I didn't want to deal with people. That wasn't entirely true. I didn't want to deal with anyone unless it was Iris. But the chances of her knocking on my door tonight were slim to none.