Chapter Forty Six: Truly, Madly, Deeply

We stopped walking when we reached Kenosha steakhouse. I smiled and clapped my hands. This was hands down the best steak place in all of town, and I was so excited for everyone to try it. This would be the perfect last meal together.

“What’s wrong with Iris?” Paisley whispered to Briar behind me.

“She’s always been a little crazy.” Briar chuckled back. I whirled around and gave the girls a loopy grin, making them grimace.

“Yup. She’s totally crazy.” Paisley concluded.

“I’m crazy for this food! Wait till you guys try it!” I exclaimed as the hostess walked us out to the back deck. We took our respective seats and everyone looked at the menu. I didn’t need to, though. I knew exactly what I wanted.

“Why aren’t you reading the menu, babe?” Flynn asked.

“Because I know what I’m getting. My family goes here all the time.” Opal a few months back had insisted that I try the Kenosha steak sandwich. It was shaved steak with cheese and onion strings, their version of a Philly cheese steak, and it was divine. Plus, it was one of the cheaper items on the menu, and I was going to insist on paying for my food tonight.

“What are you getting?” Landon asked from across the table.

“The Kenosha Steak sandwich. It’s like a Philly cheese steak sandwich.” I explained. Landon nodded and red more about it on the menu.

“It looks pretty good. I may have to get that. Thanks for the suggestion!” He chirped.

“Do you always get that?” Mason asked. I nodded and Flynn frowned.

“Don’t you want to try something new?” I shrugged. I knew he wanted me to get something more savory and expensive, but I was pretty broke and I really didn’t want him to pay for me again. It was so sweet, but it just made me feel so guilty.

“I can’t really afford anything too decadent. Plus, I want to go to a dessert place after this.” I confessed. Flynn waved his hand dismissively.

“Please, I’m paying for you, babe.” I opened my mouth to protest. “You really don’t have to worry about it, okay?”

“But it can be kinda pricey here.” My voice trailed off and Flynn placed his hand over mine, squeezing it. Damn it, he was so good at keeping me under his spell.

“How about this, I’ll pay for your dinner, and you can buy my dessert?” He offered.

“Sure.” I shrugged. “Can you pass me your menu, I’ve gotta figure out what I’m going to get now.”

I ended up ordering an eight ounce sirloin, partly because it was the cheapest thing on the menu and the other part being that I was saving room for dessert. I had such a sweet tooth. It would be a problem a few years down the road.

The food was delicious, per usual. Everyone was delighted with their meals and we bonded over old memories from the past two months. Time flies. In a week, I would be starting my senior year. In two days, I would be leaving the ranch. But it wasn’t as terrifying as the thought of in twenty four hours, I’ll be without Flynn.