Chapter Forty Eight: Everybody Talks

“Guys I can’t believe how quickly this summer has come to an end.” Briar announced, zipping her huge suitcase closed.

“I know! It’s crazy.” Paisley gushed.

“It sucks that you live so far away, Paisley.” I said from my bed. Briar nodded in agreement and Paisley gave us a small smile.

“Well, actually, I’ve got a surprise for you two!” Paisley clapped her hands cheerfully and Briar and I exchanged bored glances.

“What is it?” I asked lazily.

“Well don’t keel over, Iris.” Paisley said dryly. “Anyway, I know you both go to Summit County High, right?” Both Briar and I nodded. I had never actually seen her in school before, but we had never shared the same classes. She lived on the outskirts of town and was a loner, like me. It wasn’t much of a surprise when we both found out we went to the same school but didn’t know of the other’s existence. Though Briar did mention that she heard my name come up a few times in casual conversation back when I was the party girl.

“Yup.” Briar mumbled.

“So, I wanted to move out here so I could spend more time working at the ranch. So, guess who’s moving to Breckenridge!!” Paisley screeched.

“I don’t know, Paisley, who?” Briar asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm. Paisley pouted.

“You’re so mean to me, Briar. Iris, do you see how mean she is to me?” I nodded. “But isn’t that awesome!” She shouted. “We’re going to high school together!”

“I don’t know if awesome is the word I’d use. Maybe loud.” Briar joked.

It was finally the first day of school. It had been eight days since Flynn and the boys had left. It had been eight days since I missed the boys by a minute. All week, Flynn’s birthday present was sitting on my dresser, mocking me.

It had been a week since Briar, Paisley and I parted ways. But to my delight, I would be seeing them shortly. I think this was the first time in a few years that I would have friends at school. As I pulled into the school parking lot, I saw several students who were lounging by their cars quickly walked away from me when I got out of the car.

Maybe I was running late?

I walked through the halls and the loud chatter quieted down to a soft murmur. I felt multiple pairs of eyes on me and heard several accusing words. So this was how the first day back was going to be. I went to the front office and grabbed my schedule.

I had completed all the mandatory classes to graduate, so my schedule was full of electives and off blocks. My senior year was looking out to be pretty good.

“Hey!” A girl whom I didn’t know chirped, walking alongside me.

“Hello?”

“So is it true?” She asked.