Chapter Forty Nine: Collide

Two months had passed, going on three in two days. It was October thirty first and the town was decorated to the nines for Halloween. The school always sponsored this huge scary haunted house throughout the campus and then threw a huge dance party. We took Halloween very seriously here.

Normally, I would have the fall spirit and have my costume prepped and ready for tomorrow. Normally, I attended the dance with my friends and maybe even went out to have some drinks at a friend’s after.

But things were not normal. Not since I was hit by a very dazzling celebrity.

Life became numb. It was almost like I didn’t exist. I was going through the motions. Life just felt slightly empty without Flynn. I didn’t want to label myself on the clingy girl who was dependant on his boyfriend. But, I missed him a lot. It was hard to be in a relationship with someone who was on national tour and whose tour wouldn’t end until six days before Christmas.

Which was about a month or so away. I am not a patient person. This waiting is going to kill me.

“Earth to Iris!” Paisley called, waving her hand in front of my face during lunch. I blinked and focused on the present.

“Huh?”

“Are you, or are you not, coming to the Halloween party tomorrow?” Briar asked.

“Probably not.” I mumbled. Paisley and Briar shook their heads.

“No way! It’s the coolest thing ever!” Paisley gushed. “We never had something like that at my old school!”

“Well that’s cool.” I said, focusing on not eating my salad instead. Briar yanked the food from underneath my plate and I reached for it, but she swatted my hands away.

“You’re not eating this anyway. And you’re coming to the dance.” She concluded.

“What if I have plans?” I challenged.

Paisley rolled her eyes. “Don’t lie, Iris.”

“I don’t even have a costume.” Paisley smiled happily.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got that covered.” She gave me a wicked grin and I tensed.

“I refuse.” I grumbled, eying the costume in Paisley’s closet the next day. It was an hour before the school’s Halloween party began, and I would not leave the closet. Paisley had probably picked the skimpiest costume on the planet for me.

“Oh c’mon!” Iris whined. “You’re the perfect Aphrodite! You’ve got the blonde hair and the curves and the legs for this costume. You need to embrace it!”

“I’m not wearing this in public.” I hissed.

“If you don’t step out yourself right now, I’m going to pull you out myself.” Briar threatened. I stepped out instantly after in fear of Briar’s threat.