Cookout

2018 ❤️

Mommy! Mommy!" My body jumped and jerked with every word making me irritated. "Yes baby? What Ari?" My eyes fluttered open with her little face in mine making me smile. "Paw Patrol!" She pointed to my Tv flopping back down on the bed. "Okay, you watch this, mommy's gonna go fix us some cereal." She nodded her head not hearing a word I said making me laugh. I tied my robe around my waist making my way downstairs to the kitchen.

"Goodmorning beautiful." Allen greeted me in booty shorts and a tank top. "Hey, my child is upstairs and she's too young to be confused about yo ass." He rolled his eyes mocking me effortlessly. "Ari is three, its 2018 she's gonna see it." He twirled showing off his ass. "Well you need to learn how to tuck better." I pointed down south to the morning boner he had.

"Girl if anything you need one of these in your life." I scoffed taking the Lucky Charms and the Goodmornings down from the fridge. "Me and Dilan are just fine."

"Bitch you mean dildo?" We both laughed. Honestly I was too busy for a sex life and Ari wasn't letting no man step in and take her mother.

"We going to Ma's cookout today right?" I got quiet pouring the cereal. "You know when I was pregnant with Ari she couldn't stand me. She looked at me like I was some low life." I shook my head. "Camila you know it was just out of anger, that woman loves you and Ari." I nodded my head secretly knowing it was true it was just so easy to believe the opposite.

When I got pregnant my world shattered a little. My mother talked about me, my father tried too hard to get us together, I didn't know my baby's father but only one night and I couldn't contact him. But what nigga would ever believe that after a three year ago one night stand we had a baby girl together.

"Just come so Ari can play with her cousins and I will stay by your side the whole time."

"Fine." I picked up me and Ari's bowl going back up the stairs with him on my heels.

"Uncle!" Ari jumped up hugging his legs putting a grin on my face. You couldn't break their bond even if you tried and I liked that. "Hey babygirl, we going to see grandma today and all your cousins!" "Yess!" She yelled clapping.

"Here we go." I sat the bowl at her little table she had in the corner of my bedroom. She wasted no time digging in and me either.

"Girrl!" Allen flipped through the channels stopping on Jerry Springers. I laughed knowing he was about to rant, he didn't too much care for the show and I was on the same boat. "Now these bitches get on here knowing they man cheating, fight the bitch or the nigga he cheating with and still be with him!"

"Baby then they act surprised to be on the show, don't nothing good happen on that show, not even them redneck ass weddings." He nodded his head agreeing.

••••

We were all fed for the morning and dressed ready to leave. "I look pretty!" Ari had her little hands on her hip with her bracelets clanging together. "Mama don't look too bad yourself." Allen chimed in picking her up. "Well you know .." I did a three sixty in my gray bodysuit, black Champion fanny pack but across the chest of course. My low top black and white vans.

I unlocked my black BMW climbing inside. "Seat belt!" Ari scream. "We got this sis." Allen looked at her crazy making me laugh. I pealed out of the driveway rolling down the windows. "Summer is definitely here baby." I fanned myself feeling nothing but hot air so I rolled the windows back up cutting on the AC. "Girl yes, its bout that time for tank tops and scalp braids all summer 18." I laughed shaking my head.

"Girl I forgot to tell you who I ran into yesterday." I looked at him for him to continue getting on the high way. "Bitch Ty!" I busted out laughing with him feeling a little puzzled. "Didn't she move to Miami dating the very rich and famous Ahmet?" He rolled his eyes catching my pettiness. "Bitch this the gag, her and Ahmet was never married. He got her ass strung out on drugs he just ain't been caught yet."

I shook my head, it was honestly sad. After I graduated college we lost touch but she kept up with that nigga. She was so beautiful and to know she was on drugs behind a dude I warned her about fucked me up a little. "She was out side the convent store asking for money."

"Don't she got a big ass house? With that nigga money?" I stopped at a red light really trying to catch on. "She lost that too, he kicked her out. You know the media look into that shit and if they see her tweaking in front of his million dollar home it's going to be some shit." I nodded my head agreeing taking off again.

We pulled up to my mother's house seeing all my family running around and BBQing. "Oooo!" Ari clapped her hands seeing all her cousins. "Go head girl." I laughed watching her unfasten the seatbelt jumping out the car. Me and Allen followed walking up the driveway. "Behave."

"I'm going to behave as long as she do." I smiled sarcastically. We entered the house smelling all the good food and hearing all the chattering. "My babies!" My dad walked up with open arms hugging me and Allen. "My babies." He said again kissing both of our foreheads making us laugh. "Where's mama?" "She back there in the back setting up." Allen grabbed me going in that direction.

We walked outside seeing her and her friend, more like my aunt sitting underneath the shade. "Look who decided to show after all." She hugged him then me. "I'm so glad to see you though, where is the grand baby?" She smiled looking behind me. "She's around front playing with the kids." She nodded her head sitting back down and we sat infront of her. "You still working up at that law firm baby?" Ms. Ronda asked trying to be nosey. "Yes ma'am."

"I'm so proud of you, I remember when you were younger you still had such big dreams. You always made us so proud, wish my grandson was more like you."

I laughed. "Thank you, who's your grandson?"I asked out of curiosity because she's never mentioned one or I just wasn't listening all those years. "They call him Ro, he's supposed to be flying here in a few days for Amari's wedding. She's marrying that boy and wants all of us to be there. You should come."

"Of course." Amari was her granddaughter and something like my bestfriend. "Well help me finish setting up before the family comes back here and see we haven't got much done." We laughed standing up.

"Now was that so bad?" Allen tried being smart as we laid out the folks and knives. "Boy hush, and no it wasn't ... only because Ms. Ronda was here." He laughed shaking his head. "I don't know why she doesn't like William, he fine as fuck and he paid."

"You know every since he cheated on her that one time Ms. Ronda hasn't been all peaches and cream. But to each its own, we all done been cheated on and took someone back." I said honestly. Everybody has been dumb for someone whether you liked that shit or not.

"Yess! But I'm ready to see this grandson she's ranting about." Allen flipped his hair smiling. "Baby every guy you run into isn't gay or undercover. We never seen this guy or heard of someone named Ro. He sound like a thug." I said mater of factly. "I like em' rough!" He stuck his tongue out laughing. I rolled my eyes like I didn't even see him.

We finished up sitting at the table as all my family gathered around. Dad and my uncle Chris had it laid out with the food and drinks. "Mommy this gonna be good." Ari tugged on me whispering. "I know baby." I kissed her forehead turning to my dad for his summer speech.

"Family .. family .. family!" He tapped the wine glass making everyone hush.

"I'm so glad to have you all here on this beautiful day. You all mean so much to me and this family, we fuss and fight but yet we remain strong. I love seeing all of your beautiful faces and hearing your words of encouragement to each other-."

"Okay Ray sit yo ass down we tryna eat!" My uncle Lee said making all of us laugh. "You shut yo drunk ass up." My dad sat down feeling defeated. We passed around the food holding small talk, this is what I enjoyed about my family.

You know the background, you know her family wonder what's next?

any feed back would be nice & appreciated while you read.

Excuse any mistakes...