Chapter 9: It Can't Be

"I'm so sorry Malia." With those words, I drift into a rather deep sleep, bloody tears falling down my cheeks.

My dream is weird.

It's like I keep reliving Malia's death.

I keep seeing her with the sword sticking through her chest, right where her heart is.

It keeps replaying every time.

Suddenly, I see something or rather somebody walk up to her and pull the sword through her chest, before a scream can leave me, Malia sharply inhales and her eyes open.

At that moment, I throw my eyes open. I grab my chest, right where I felt the sharp pain when she was stabbed.

Looking around, I don't see any of the humans, even their stuff is gone.

"What the fuck? Where'd they go?"

Slowly getting up, tucking Malia's shirt back in my pocket.

I feel disoriented, like something other than blood is running through my veins.

I rub my eyes and try and focus on my surroundings when a smell passes by me.

Inhaling deeply, my eyes widen.

"Candace?"

Following her faint scent, I get to the intersection of the pyramid where all the hallways meet.

Inhaling again, I smell Candace's scent going to my left.

That's where Malia's body was left.

What's going on?

Allowing my vamp to take over, I quietly follow the scent.

Coming to the spot where we first fought the creatures, I glance around, not seeing anybody.

"Where's her body? Where are the humans? What the fuck is going on?!"

I slam my fist against the wall, breathing hard.

I'm confused and pissed.

I can't smell anybody and I don't hear their heartbeats. I press my forehead against the wall, trying to clear the fog in my head.

Suddenly a head presses against my back, a giant head.

I slowly lift my head, breathing slowly and deep.

What the hell is that?

I gulp loudly and whatever it is growls lowly.

I slowly, really slowly, turn, eyes closed the whole time.

It presses my back against the wall and I feel it take a deep breath, releasing said breath on a growl.

Slowly opening my eyes, I stare at the one person I thought i'd never see again.

"Malia?"

She cocks her head to the side and I shift to move from the wall but she growls and backs up a little bit.

What's wrong with her? Does she not recognize me?

I feel myself about to get emotional. She tilts her head again at my racing heartbeat.

She leans in and smells my shirt pocket, where her shirt scrap is.

She sniffs and then sneezes a little bit. I giggle and she lets out a low bark. 

"Do you remember me? It's me Alex."

I hold my hand out to her, palm up. She narrows her eyes but places her giant nose in my hand, inhaling.