Chapter 14: Sick

"It's best we wait until they come back." He says.

I narrow my eyes at him but nod anyway, plopping down to the ground, eyes closed, arms folded behind my head.

I feel tired, weak.

My head hurts.

It's hard to breathe.

"Aren't you hungry Alex?" Kayla questions.

Cracking a eye open to glance at her, I shrug and close my eye.

She snorts and I hear her shoes crushing the dirt as she walks towards me.

"What is it woman?"

She giggles, which causes a smile to spread across my face.

She takes a seat next to me and lays her head on my shoulder, arm across my waist.

"Never thought I'd be cuddled up next to a vampire, things we were born to kill." She says quietly into my neck.

I chuckle and wrap a arm around her, bringing her closer to me.

Her warmth doing wonders to my cold frame.

The pounding in my head is getting worse. I can barely make out my coven in the forest.

"There's a first for alot of things. For instance, having a crush on a certain hybrid."

She giggles and slaps my stomach.

I felt that hit.

I hate this time of the year.

"Anyway, why aren't you hunting with them? You have to be hungry." She asks again.

I open my eyes and stare at the clear blue sky.

Glancing down at her, she's already staring, a small frown on her face.

She's worried.

"I'm not hungry. I'm older, I can go days without feeding. Besides, Malia can keep them under control on your land."

She nods and lays her face back in my neck, she inhales and I feel her flinch, she sits up and frowns down at me.

I know she can smell it on my skin.

It makes my scent 10 times louder and harsher.

"Why do you smell like that?" She questions.

"Smell like what?"

I sit up and cross my legs, meeting her stare.

I watch as her eyes narrow and she leans in again, inhaling and rearing back.

I cock my head to the side.

Her blood doesn't even call to me.

It's really bad this time.

Normally I want to feed, not this time.

"Are you sick? Are you ok?" She asks, worry clear in her voice.

I look away from her and notice the other hunters staring, worry written across their faces.

"Yes. I'm sick but i'll be fine."

Her eyes widen and she crawls closer, damn near in my lap, grabbing my hands, flinching from the cold feeling.

It sounds like the ocean in my ears.

My gums hurt.

My bones hurt.

I'm in so much pain.