Chapter 27: Patrol

Ugh, why does shit have to be so complicated?

Quietly walking through the woods, a million thoughts running through my head.

I look around and spot the others slowly walking.

Looking up, my sharp eyes make out a deadly Malia, silently jumping from branch to branch.

Her eyes meet mine and she grins.

I wink at her and continue my walking.

Shoving my hands in my jacket pockets, I stroll through the woods, scenting the air.

Watching as rabbits, deer, bugs and birds scurry around, settling down for the night.

I come to this clearing that sits over a valley.

The moon high in the sky.

Walking towards the edge, I take a seat and inhale.

The snap of a branch and Malia's sweet dark chocolate scent washes over me, alerting me to her presence, watching over me.

"Is there something bothering you?" Malia whispers in her quiet deep voice.

I glance over my shoulder in her general direction, turning back to the valley, I shrug.

"Just thinking."

I hear her hum and then her feet hit the ground, before quietly walking towards me, stopping behind me.

Patting the spot next to me, she instead sits behind me, cradling me against her chest.

"I'm listening." She grunts.

I sigh and lean my head against her warm chest. Glancing up at her, she's watching the valley, ears visibly flickering around, listening to every sound.

"Kira makes me nervous. She's territorial and has claimed me as her mate."

Malia growls and tightens her hold on me. I rub her arms and she relaxes. I glance at the moon and then down at the large warm arms holding me.

"What do you want to do about her?"Malia quietly questions.

I shrug and run my hand against her soft but rough skin.

"She isn't a threat but she still needs to be watched. I feel like she's going to try and force me to remember her, force me to leave with her."

Malia's chest vibrates against my back as she growls, her hold getting tighter.

"You aren't going anywhere." She growls.

I nod and lean further into her hold. Listening to the others patrol the grounds, but close enough to where they can listen and give input if needed.

"I know she's your sister and everything Devon but I never liked her." Max quietly says from the other side of the forest.

I hear Devon growl but continue patrolling his side of the forest.

Grunts of quiet agreement bounces off the trees.

Devon growls again but doesn't protest.

"Chill guys. Continue your patrol. We'll keep an eye on her."

They grunt and Malia nuzzles my neck before freezing.

A deep, pleasure filled shiver runs up and down my spine with every breath she releases on my neck.

Malia lifts her head and glances over her shoulder. The others come from the trees and spread out around the opening.

Slowly standing, Malia tucks me under her arm.