Chapter 18: Visitors

Pulls me behind my family

Leaves crunching under the feet of every vampire and hybrid fills my ears, the sweet dark smell of blood surrounds the field, sorrow on my tastebuds.

Jon steps forward, face downward, eyes heavy, shoulders slumped, placing a hand on the casket of his leader.

He sniffles.

"Kiyan. Kiyan was a great man. He fought for what he believed in and never let anything stand in his way. He always spoke of unity between creatures, between worlds, but could never figure out how to do it. Until now. He fought for his life but in the end he failed. He will be remembered and his vision will live on through us, thrive in us. May he rest in forever peace." Jon says, tears in his voice.

I watch as his family of hunters sank to one knee and bow their heads. I glance at Malia and she wipes a stray tear of her face before shifting, bowing her head. Her hybrids follow and my vampires take a knee.

I follow in their footsteps.

Malia, Abbey and Kayla release sad howls into the air, tears start falling down my cheeks.

We'll be fine.

I look up and watch as Jon lights a torch, placing it against the casket.

Purplish, yellow flames engulf the box and it slowly burns to ashes.

Kiyan's body along with it.

"We'll be ok guys. Whatever comes our way, we'll fight it together."

They nod at me, bow their heads to his ashes and make their way back to the camp.

I take a seat on the purplish grass, where we cremated Kiyan and placed a gravestone and run my hands over the grass, watching as the ashes rise up.

"I don't know what to do. I feel something coming, something big. I haven't told them yet, they are just now relaxing after everything. After your death. I can't tell them. What should I do?"

I listen for a voice, for movement, for something but nothing comes.

A slight breeze brings Kiyan's faint scent. I know he's giving me a sign.

The breeze seems to caress my face.

"Tell them. Of course you'd want me to do that."

I roll my eyes and slowly stand, run my hand across his grave stone and walk back to the camp.

The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and my vampire suddenly takes over, pushing me to the back of my mind.

My blood red eyes sweep the forest, hot breath is on my neck and then gone.

"Show yourself beast!"

A low growl reaches my ears. I inhale, trying to catch a scent but all I smell is nature. Crunching leaves catch my attention and I quickly turn.

Nothing.

"You can't catch me vampire. You'll never be able to see me unless I want you to." The rough voice growled out.

A hiss escapes me.

It chuckles.

"Now listen carefully vampire. Bring the hybrid to this location. If she's not there in 24 hours, i'll take her hybrid mate and kill her." The voice says.

I feel a slight jerk of my back pocket and I turn attempting to grab the beast.

I grab air.

A faint chuckle reaches my ears. I growl in frustration.